Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Trump Interfaces???
    No, those are the ones that *improve* security, and clean up all the bugs and memory leaks from the previous interface.

Originally posted by LEW21 View Post

There is a big difference between an internal port and an external port.
    Not really. If you have physical access to the machine, you have physical access to the machine. Also, SATA and SAS can both have external interfaces. PCI-E does as well, at least on laptops via ExpressCard.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 01 May 2017, 10:01 AM.

Comment

I wonder if that means my phone will show up when I plug it in via usb-c, currently it's ignored unless it's booted up already connected

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        But USB is insecure.
        A device can act as a keyboard and execute commands as if they were typed by a user.

FireWire and Thunderbolt are even worse, they have DMA and can read the RAM.
        It gets worse, physical keyboards are insecure! Anyone can type on them and execute commands as if they are a user!

Comment

Originally posted by H3g3m0n View Post

It gets worse, physical keyboards are insecure! Anyone can type on them and execute commands as if they are a user!
          At least when I plug in a keyboard then I know that is a keyboard.

But if I plugin a webcam, a printer or a scanner then I don't want it to identify as a USB HID keyboard and execute commands.

Comment

Originally posted by ckruetze View Post

Interesting. We are using 4 WD15s in the office with Ubuntu 16.10 (and I think 16.04). And for us the only thing that doesn't work always is the display port. Frequently after a wake up from suspend the monitor on the display port connection will flicker. No problems with the other one connected to HDMI.

Using a very recent kernel and MESA version improved that a lot, guessing I'd say there is now a 20% chance that the monitor doesn't wake up properly. However turning off the monitor for a minute while using the dock will in most cases restore everything to working again.
            The DisplayPort issue with the WD15 seems to be a hardware issue. We have the same problem with Windows 10.
            There is the newer TB16 Thunderbolt dock. It's a little more than the WD15, but you should get better performance than USB. Unknown about Linux compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Not really. If you have physical access to the machine, you have physical access to the machine. Also, SATA and SAS can both have external interfaces. PCI-E does as well, at least on laptops via ExpressCard.
              I forgot about Thunderbolt, that's another external PCI-E interface with DMA access.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                I forgot about Thunderbolt, that's another external PCI-E interface with DMA access.
                IOMMU/VT-d to the rescue.

Comment

Working...
                X