GRUB 2.02 Is Ready To Boot Your System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    That it supports morse code beeps and not a proper GUI with icons.

That it needs to be manually updated for each distro change, it does not automatically scan for stuff.
    who needs boot icons... does it scan properly now?

Comment

I'd much rather grub stay as lean as possible than have any sort of graphical interface. I use it for about 5 seconds at each boot, and if I interact at all it's to change a kernel boot parameter for a server... not something you're going to be using a mouse for anyway.
      I think for desktop users who are muilti-booting, there are very different use cases of course.
      If you're a full time linux user, you probably aren't selecting anything ever.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
        who needs boot icons... does it scan properly now?
        It always did... how is your script to automate efibootmgr setup going?

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
          I'd much rather grub stay as lean as possible than have any sort of graphical interface. I use it for about 5 seconds at each boot, and if I interact at all it's to change a kernel boot parameter for a server... not something you're going to be using a mouse for anyway.
          I think for desktop users who are muilti-booting, there are very different use cases of course.
          If you're a full time linux user, you probably aren't selecting anything ever.
          You think full-time Linux users only use a single installation of a single distribution? I have the opposite impression. And that would not be an acceptable limitation anyway.

Comment

I do like rEFInd.
            I actually use it to manage a multi-drive multi OS box.
            As I understand it though rEFInd can't do mdadm raid yet so I actually have rEFInd calling grub installed into a MBR.
            This is a bit of a pain for various reasons but until I move the root filesystem to a regular ext4 partition on an SSD, I don't have much choice I think. Even then, I still like to mdadm raid root.

Windows 10 seems to wreck grub-efi occasionally, hence rEFInd previously on USB dongle but now permanently installed.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
              One of the worst boot managers I know.
              if you can make a better one, go right ahead, if not STFU

Comment

There are already way better ones around i wont have to do my own. Just open your eyes and i already named my alternative

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  You place your kernel in the EFI partition, set stuff with efibootmgr, and you can do without a multi-fs/RAID/Volume/self aware boot loader alltogether.
                  By the way, I would be happy to do so, but there seems like no automation around this booting concept - last time I checked there was no packages that automate kernel registration in firmware loaders list and update initrd/vmlinuz files on EFI partition after kernel upgrade. This is sad, because for ARM such package is exist: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/flash-kernel

Comment

One of the worst boot managers I know.
                    Feel free to stick with front-panel toggle switches.

Comment

There are already way better ones around i wont have to do my own. Just open your eyes and i already named my alternative
                      Name them for us all, im sure we could all do with some comedy around here again
                      please tell us.

Comment

Working...
                      X