Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
    One of the worst boot managers I know.
    lol, selfpersuaded "linux master" detected.
    let me guess? youve installed arch a couple of times and now believe you are qualified to throw away the baby with the bathwater.
    sure systemd is solid, but some people dont like a proprietary init-thingamajig for linux. OSS comes with an abundance of flaws, thats kind of the price for using it.

Ive installed distros with systemd, i have used grub, I like grub, it feels like it has character.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      That it supports morse code beeps and not a proper GUI with icons.

That it needs to be manually updated for each distro change, it does not automatically scan for stuff.
      How do you defined a "proper GUI"? a non-textmode?! . What is the use for that for something that probably most people don't even care to interact with as long as it works. It's gone in about 3 seconds anyway!

I do agree with you that it would be nice if GRUB could automatically scan for operating systems, but I think that could be error prone. Imagine what *could* happen if you add a USB drive with some image on it. If anything I would like a menu option in GRUB that says 'scan for known operating systems' that you could manually invoke!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
        lol, selfpersuaded "linux master" detected.
        let me guess? youve installed arch a couple of times and now believe you are qualified to throw away the baby with the bathwater.
        sure systemd is solid, but some people dont like a proprietary init-thingamajig for linux. OSS comes with an abundance of flaws, thats kind of the price for using it.

Ive installed distros with systemd, i have used grub, I like grub, it feels like it has character.
        Please don't post random blatant bullshit about systemd when we are talking about Grub that is totally unrelated.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
          Imagine what *could* happen if you add a USB drive with some image on it.
          It could automatically add a menu item that says "Boot from USB drive".

If anything I would like a menu option in GRUB that says 'scan for known operating systems' that you could manually invoke!
          If anything? That would be an absolute minimum reqirement for a sane way to deal with multiple installations. Grub fails at that.

Comment

just replaced yaboot with grub2 on my totally maxed out PPC(32) G4 Cube last week:
            https://www.instagram.com/p/BTHyAKeA...en-by
            Totally maxed out #Apple #G4 #Cube with 1200MHz G4 upgrade (stock was 450 and 500 MHz, …), and ATi Radeon 7500, SATA SSD and now 1.25GB of RAM. #Ad: RAM & mo...
            Last edited by rene; 25 April 2017, 05:26 PM.

Comment

How do you defined a "proper GUI"? a non-textmode?! .
              Y'know, most PCs have a GUI nowadays. Text mode looks like ass, especially when even the UEFI firwmare has a proper GUI.

An example of rEFInd boot (manager) with a GUI (and my favourite theme, http://munlik.deviantart.com/art/rEFInd-theme-512091944 )

This is shown at the screen's native resolution on my laptop (and on a 1024x768 resolution on my desktop's screen that is actually better than that, it uses what the UEFI firmware is capable of doing)
              Each distro or OS has its own icon (and there are generic icons for "unknown linux" or "unknown"), pressing F2 when the icon is selected allows me to get in the advanced booting selection for that distro (to choose a different kernel or different kernel command line)
              on the second row you find tools, memtest, efi shell, reboot to UEFI settings, reboot, shutdown, and whatever.

Navigation happens by arrow keys. Return key to select, esc key to go back or, if you can't go back, to rescan for new bootable stuff.

What is the use for that for something that probably most people don't even care to interact with as long as it works. It's gone in about 3 seconds anyway!
              Are you talking about morse code function of GRUB, right?

Besides, you could have made the same argument against most of the GRUB features on EFI, as on EFI it's pretty much redundant anyway. You place your kernel in the EFI partition, set stuff with efibootmgr, and you can do without a multi-fs/RAID/Volume/self aware boot loader alltogether.

I do agree with you that it would be nice if GRUB could automatically scan for operating systems, but I think that could be error prone. Imagine what *could* happen if you add a USB drive with some image on it.
              Not buying it. rEFInd reads what is in the usb and shows bootable stuff on it and if it is some kind of boot loader it can usually just start it up and it goes on as normal.
              Actually, scanning everything on boot is its main mode of operation. I only leave a text file with kernel command line in the same folder as the kernel (if there is none, it assumes sane defaults).

By default it selects the last booted system, so I can boot with whatever key in it and will not screw up my booting. (Also Grub has an option to remember last booted system, usually not enabled by default for unknown reasons)

So no, I don't see how that could be bad unless someone screwed up.

If anything I would like a menu option in GRUB that says 'scan for known operating systems' that you could manually invoke!
              That would be a step in the right direction. Keeping GRUB operational in a multi-boot environment is a pain in the ass.
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 25 April 2017, 05:32 PM.

Comment

oh the click bait, wanted to update in our T2, but not even tagged :-/ https://t2-project.org/packages/grub2.html

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Please don't post random blatant bullshit about systemd when we are talking about Grub that is totally unrelated.
                  Please dont disrespect other users on this board, your posts will be flagged. Have a good day.

01.) Absolutely no flaming, name calling, sexual harassment, or other personal attacks will be permitted. Respect everyone, including the moderators and administrators.
                  Last edited by AdamOne; 25 April 2017, 05:51 PM.

Comment

I prefer clover ! It can autodetect pretty much everything, and like said before me systemd boot is enough for everyone realy. You could even boot freaking live images over efi im 100% sure! Nowadays is not the time for a freaking bootloader that is not self contained and cant automaticly offer options to rescan the CURRENT os automaticly and by itself offer all kind of boot options.

Comment

How do you defined a "proper GUI"? a non-textmode?! . What is the use for that for something that probably most people don't even care to interact with as long as it works. It's gone in about 3 seconds anyway!
                      Some years ago I created a graphical boot manager. The reason was that a lot of people had trouble with Lilo/Grub/OS2 boot manager, and were unable to choose the desired operating system. By using icons and assigning a single key to each OS, things were easier. And a lot of people loved it.

Comment

Working...
                      X