Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.11 Pushed Back: 4.11-rc8 Released

Phoronix: Linux 4.11 Pushed Back: 4.11-rc8 Released

While last week Linus Torvalds was looking at releasing Linux 4.11 this weekend, Linux 4.11-rc8 instead was issued today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some corner cases/regression pop up:
    Phoronix: Linux 4.11 File-System Tests: EXT4, F2FS, XFS & Btrfs With the Linux 4.11 kernel potentially being released as soon as today, here are some

Comment

Slightly disappointed, not at Linus' decision thou, just the regressions.

Doesn't affect me personally, but I've always found this type of sporadic behavior to be the more annoying than when stuff just flat-out doesn't work so I think Linus definitely made the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
        Slightly disappointed, not at Linus' decision thou, just the regressions.
        Regressions are normal part of development and these RC8s aren't unusual too... it would be unusual if RC9 happens

Comment

I wonder if DC can make it into 4.12. This gives the devs one more week...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            I wonder if DC can make it into 4.12. This gives the devs one more week...
            Nope, unfortunately. The cutoff for landing new feature work in DRM-Next ended one week ago.... DRM devs can't land last minute work into DRM tree without Linus getting upset. Not to mention no big final review of DC has taken place yet.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The sad thing is that my microSD card reader stopped working on linux 4.10.x and 4.11 so im forced to use 4.9.24 lts kernel on my braswell netbook...

Comment

Originally posted by ArchFanatic View Post
                The sad thing is that my microSD card reader stopped working on linux 4.10.x and 4.11 so im forced to use 4.9.24 lts kernel on my braswell netbook...
                How about using 'git bisect' to find the bug?

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post

How about using 'git bisect' to find the bug?
                  i will try that but it looks like a very time consuming task by recompiling the kernel on low end hardware

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Nope, unfortunately. The cutoff for landing new feature work in DRM-Next ended one week ago.... DRM devs can't land last minute work into DRM tree without Linus getting upset. Not to mention no big final review of DC has taken place yet.
                    Oh right, the DRM tree has its own time schedule. Well, then at least we'll know sooner if it can be in 4.13.

Originally posted by ArchFanatic View Post
                    i will try that but it looks like a very time consuming task by recompiling the kernel on low end hardware
                    It's somewhat time consuming, but not that much, since make only compiles what has changed between revisions rather than the full thing. You might also be able to use distcc.

Comment

Working...
                    X