No announcement yet.

A Year Later, X-Fi Drivers Still Horrific

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any brilliant programmer who could reverse engineer, the windows driver in order to make a GPL driver?

cheers maybe with that i could buy a soundblaster card again...

Comment

just a quick note for everyone:

at moment, alsa cannot manage which default sound card to use while the kernel is booting. read alsa wiki for more information about it.

Comment

I bought an X-Fi Xtreme Gamer and I'm tired of not using it (I'm not using GNU/Linux to work on an unstable system because of some bad drivers)

Guess what ? I'm buying an Audigy 2 ZS on eBay to solve my audio problems.

Comment

you can always buy an ASUS XONAR audio card. that's a serious one and works well with ALSA.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
            you can always buy an ASUS XONAR audio card. that's a serious one and works well with ALSA.
            I could, but it's expensive and it's not helping the CPU. The Audigy is helping the CPU, does hardware mixing, and has god output quality.

Comment

Originally posted by amorpisseur View Post
              I could, but it's expensive and it's not helping the CPU. The Audigy is helping the CPU, does hardware mixing, and has god output quality.
              That is sooooooooooooooooo outdated. Look at any benchmarks comparing the two in recent years and you will see that if there is any increase at all it typically results in a <1% increase in framerates. And dmix handles mixing very nicely nowdays.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                That is sooooooooooooooooo outdated. Look at any benchmarks comparing the two in recent years and you will see that if there is any increase at all it typically results in a <1% increase in framerates. And dmix handles mixing very nicely nowdays.
                That's indeed so true. Even embedded devices with much less cpu power
                can handle multiple streams resampled and mixed in software.

Comment

Well, I used to love my GuS (hardware mixing in the 90s) and I'm not paying 150€ for a card who can't even do hardware mixing. Software mixing works, until your workstation is heavy loaded.

I say no to sound cut !

I really prefer to give away 30€ on eBay and get an Audigy 2 ZS which will do the job well.

Comment

Well, I used to love my GuS (hardware mixing in the 90s) and I'm not paying 150? for a card who can't even do hardware mixing. Software mixing works, until your workstation is heavy loaded.

I say no to sound cut !

I really prefer to give away 30? on eBay and get an Audigy 2 ZS which will do the job well.

you're free to do what you want of course mine was just a suggestion

Comment

Well, I used to love my GuS (hardware mixing in the 90s) and I'm not paying 150€ for a card who can't even do hardware mixing. Software mixing works, until your workstation is heavy loaded.

I say no to sound cut !

I really prefer to give away 30€ on eBay and get an Audigy 2 ZS which will do the job well.
                      Heh, my systems run at extremely heavy loads and still no issue with sound and software mixing. (Usually handbrake running in the background pegging out the cores)
                      Last edited by deanjo; 09 October 2008, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X