BFQ I/O Scheduler Queued For Linux 4.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Same here. I didn't use bfq, but enabling blkmq helps cfq a lot. Performs much better than Win7.
    Enabling blk-mq just disables scheduling at all now. So, congratulations, CFQ has nothing to do with this.

Comment

Originally posted by post-factum View Post

Enabling blk-mq just disables scheduling at all now. So, congratulations, CFQ has nothing to do with this.
      Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Same here. I didn't use bfq, but enabling blkmq helps cfq a lot. Performs much better than Win7.
        It doesn't take much to outperform Windows in this regard. All Windows versions from 7 to 10 just stall completely here if I start a big copy or decompression task. Want to un-7z a 10GB file? The desktop becomes completely frozen for several minutes on end...

It's utter garbage :-P

On Linux, and especially with BFQ, I don't even notice the copy/unpack operation is going on.

Comment

waiting for bfq-mq for my ssd

Comment

Why BFQ won't be the default scheduler?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              It doesn't take much to outperform Windows in this regard. All Windows versions from 7 to 10 just stall completely here if I start a big copy or decompression task. Want to un-7z a 10GB file? The desktop becomes completely frozen for several minutes on end...

It's utter garbage :-P

On Linux, and especially with BFQ, I don't even notice the copy/unpack operation is going on.
              Good news. Windows stalls even with Steam. I'd love to see schedulers performance and latency comparison.

Comment

Good news. Windows stalls even with Steam. I'd love to see schedulers performance and latency comparison.
                I never had this problem on windows 10 on my laptop...

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                  Why BFQ won't be the default scheduler?
                  Because Linux's main target isn't desktop, apparently. It took an awful fucking huge lot of time to get this merged as optional scheduler.

Comment

This is great, I can finally (eventually) show off to OSX users that keep annoying me with how on OSX is so smooth even with multiple programs open.

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    Agreed. Another fun one is opening a folder with say 3-4k sub-megabyte image files and waiting to eventually see thumbnails (a few hours later).

I've been using programs like FastCopy on Windows because it manages to move files without locking up the system (and are even significantly faster than normal copy-paste).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      This is great, I can finally (eventually) show off to OSX users that keep annoying me with how on OSX is so smooth even with multiple programs open.
                      Not scheduler fault, but graphics subsystem perhaps (X)? However, os x is damn slow, so it's hard to believe.

Comment

Working...
                      X