My Favorite Features/Changes Of The Linux 4.11 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garegin View Post
    Yes, that's what I meant. Windows have a generic UAA driver if you have no vendor specific ones
    On Linux, drivers tend to work based on the chipset rather than the brand name on the outside.

Think of what happens if you try to install two cards from different vendors, but based around the same chipset, on the same machine. On Linux, it works. On Windows...?

Comment

Does linux have a generic audio driver like in windiws?
      Does Windows have a generic audio driver at all?
      Afaik the only "generic sound device driver" is for USB soundcards/headsets and you have a cross-platform standard for that (same as for keyboards, mices and webcams having their standardized protocol), and yes also on Linux devices following that standard work 100% fine as there is a similar driver.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
        On Linux, drivers tend to work based on the chipset rather than the brand name on the outside.

Think of what happens if you try to install two cards from different vendors, but based around the same chipset, on the same machine. On Linux, it works. On Windows...?
        It usually works on Windows too. It's very rare that vendors make significant hardware/driver changes nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by monte84 View Post
          I have had no issue with my ALC1220 on my Crosshair VI. Even on kernel 4.8 while testing out Ubuntu live flash drive. So what exactly is 4.11 supposed to do for ALC1220 codec?
          Maybe this update focuses on some other variants like my ALC1220A (ASUS Prime X370-Pro). It tried to play static even though nothing was connected to the audio jack. I did not use the sound card, so I just blacklisted the audio driver in Linux 4.10. I have not tested 4.11 yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
            UAA and ALSA are not drivers, they're just a set of interfaces to implement for the actual driver. To have a "generic audio driver" you'd need to have a standard for hw manufacturers to follow, like HID for usb devices. I didn't manage to find one, so unless I missed something, a generic audio driver is technically impossible.
            If you don't have any vendor specific audio drivers, your sound shows up as "high definition audio" and works (with some features missing). It's the equivalent to the VESA driver for video chips

Comment

still no ALX WOL support?

Comment

If you don't have any vendor specific audio drivers, your sound shows up as "high definition audio" and works (with some features missing). It's the equivalent to the VESA driver for video chips
                That's the name of the driver used for devices following Intel's HD audio specification, which is a standard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_...finition_Audio

See here for an example where MS's docs state the above https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

And yes there is a similar driver also on Linux. http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...dule-hda-intel

On my AMD APU laptop I see that thing being loaded in my dmesg, which is kinda weird as it looks like my laptop has an Intel soundcard when it really does not.

Here an excerpt of my dmesg on a x102ba (laptop with AMD APU and realtek audio)

[ 11.938469] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:01.1: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
                [ 11.938768] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:01.1: Force to non-snoop mode
                [ 11.997991] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC1D0: autoconfig for ALC3229: line_outs=1 (0x14/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0) type:speaker
                [ 11.998003] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC1D0: speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
                [ 11.998009] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC1D0: hp_outs=1 (0x21/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
                [ 11.998013] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC1D0: mono: mono_out=0x0
                [ 11.998016] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC1D0: inputs:
                [ 11.998022] snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC1D0: Mic=0x19
                [ 12.223724] input: HD-Audio Generic Headphone as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card1/input18
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 19 April 2017, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Intel doesnt make audio chips. Its only the chipset name that the audio chip uses. Could also be the hdmi audio

Comment

Intel doesnt make audio chips.
                    They make host audio controllers that will talk to the actual audio controller (realtek thing or whatever) in an integrated system. It's in the chipset, see here "IntelĀ® HD Audio Technology " https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...sets/h170.html

And AMD follows the same standard with theirs.

Could also be the hdmi audio
                    AFAIK HDMI/Displayport audio is a separate thing with its own controllers and drivers. It isn't a HD Audio specification device.

Comment

Working...
                    X