Which DE do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Then it needs to be made default and an officially supported configuration. If they polish it and make it zero config, you might be on to something. But then they still need stop breaking icons and themes on purpose every chance they get. After all isn't gnome all about making your desktop unconfigurable? Isn't that their entire point? It would make sense to make the only configuration that makes sense the default. It's the only configuration that everyone needs to do. Instead they try to support a classic style desktop that is broken and nobody uses it. It's completely retarded. They need to make dash to dock official and make it the default.
    Isn't Ubuntu attempting this, they had a questionnaire where Ubuntuians where able to awnser these kinds of things, where many voted for dash to dock. Now they will fork it and ad it as a default in Ubuntus spin of Gnome 3

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
      Isn't Ubuntu attempting this, they had a questionnaire where Ubuntuians where able to awnser these kinds of things, where many voted for dash to dock. Now they will fork it and ad it as a default in Ubuntus spin of Gnome 3
      I just read that too.It is possible that Ubuntu will get boon of gnome users after this. But there is so much more to it than just dash to dock, stable themes and icons for one. Drop the classic desktop mode for 2, it's highly buggy and a confusing burden. I believe Gnome's biggest mission is to make gnome unconfigurable, and if that is true then they are failing miserably at it. They want a DE that is configured so well that it doesn't require additional configuration. They aren't even close to that. They're continents away.
      Last edited by duby229; 20 August 2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I just read that too.It is possible that Ubuntu will get boon of gnome users after this. But there is so much more to it than just dash to dock, stable themes and icons for one. Drop the classic desktop mode for 2, it's highly buggy and a confusing burden. I believe Gnome's biggest mission is to make gnome unconfigurable, and if that is true then they are failing miserably at it. They want a DE that is configured so well that it doesn't require additional configuration. They aren't even close to that. They're continents away.
        Well, there doesn't exist an ''unconfigurable'' DE as you put it, everyone have different workflows etc. But they might be aiming to be mainstream enough to catch most users. There's nothing wrong with that. Most/all propriatary DE's that I know off aim for this as well.

Buggy, yes, already had crashes of Gnome software. I don't get why they have essentially to application launchers. I use the extensions to make gnome 3 work for my workflow, it's extremly frustrating to use otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
          Well, there doesn't exist an ''unconfigurable'' DE as you put it, everyone have different workflows etc. But they might be aiming to be mainstream enough to catch most users. There's nothing wrong with that. Most/all propriatary DE's that I know off aim for this as well.

Buggy, yes, already had crashes of Gnome software. I don't get why they have essentially to application launchers. I use the extensions to make gnome 3 work for my workflow, it's extremly frustrating to use otherwise.
          Well, perhaps you're right. But regardless I believe a highly unconfigurable DE is their end objective, their ultimate goal. And they are failing miserably at it.

Comment

I don't hate GNOME 3, it is keyboard biased and looks good, default setup feels familiar to me so I get going pretty early. But it uses about 1GB of RAM so that is a big-no for me.
            KDE is too bloated and I dont like its default keyboard shortcuts, KDE apps and dont need for all the stuff it provides (activities and other mumbo jumbo widgets). I would have to work a lot of put it to my liking.

So, my votes go for XFCE which on my Debian uses 270MB of Ram at startup (I have 16GB of RAM so I have 15.7GB Free for myself). With a good icon pack and some keyboard shortcut configuration, I get going pretty fast.

Second vote is for Cinnamon, has a good default setup and smooth animated transitions, about 700MB RAM used which is acceptable.

I have a third love for i3 but thats a secret.

if GNOME 3 reduces its resource consumption I might give it a chance, and waiting for wayland to mature.

Comment

customized gnome 3

Comment

Ubuntu Unity, the distro is on it's way

A new Ubuntu flavor that uses the Unity 7 desktop by default is under discussion. The plans have already won backing from a former Unity developer.

Comment

With the 100 vote milestone reached
                  here's the top 3 DEs
                  1. KDE @ 42%
                  2. Gnome 3 @ 27%
                  3. XFCE @14%

Comment

Moved from Plasma to i3 and sway. I realized that the only KDE applications that I am really attached to are okular and dolphin (+ kio slaves). I have not yet found an as nice pdf reader as okular so that one stays for now. I am experimenting with mounting scripts and ranger as replacement of dolphin, but it is not very high on my priority list.

Comment

CDE all the way (the original one from the nineties). XFCE 3.x was a decent substitute, but then with 4.x they abandoned CDE look and feel and ruined it completely.

Luckily CDE is now open source.

If you've forgotten all about it already, get some ideas of its strong points here:

Comment

Working...
                      X