Which DE do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which DE do you like?

Now with the death of Canonical's Unity financing, I was wondering what DE does people use and what do you think of Gnome 3? Personally I think it is ugly, unpractical and slow, but this could be due to me never really tried it for more than a week at once, KDE is also in this ball park, though not as unpractical. I'm about equally split between Pantheon and XFCE. XFCE just feels so snappy, while in distros like Chalet OS it actually becomes good looking enough, while pantheon is gorgeous and snappy enough. I've been playing with Budgie and it looks promising. Unity is in my opinion the most intuitive and practical, easy to learn and use, maybe not well suited for a power-user, but well suited for migrating non-techy family from Windows to Linux.

Well those are my opinions and views, look forward to hearing other's views, everyone has their of workflows and so on. Is there anyone that is going to keep using Unity and is hoping for a "Ubuntu Unity" flavour?
    PS: Please keep it civil!
    Gnome 3
    27.61%
    MATE
    6.72%
    Budgie
    2.99%
    Unity
    5.97%
    KDE
    38.06%
    Cinnamon
    11.94%
    XFCE
    17.91%
    LXLE/LXDE/LXQt
    8.96%
    Pantheon
    3.73%
    Other(s)
    8.21%

I used Unity for several years and found it ok for my needs and workflows (the classical reason behind sticking on the default's DE option of the distro of your choice: if it works, why change?). Switched to XFCE in 2015 (not because I disliked Unity, I was trying to solve issues related to graphics drivers) and never change it since then. I still think Unity is a good DE, so I was not particularly happy after Canonical's "great refuse", but if I had to choose I'd go with XFCE: simple, efficient, stable. I'm currently making some experiments with KDE (again, graphics drivers issues), first impression was: "wtf??? This is XFCE under steroids!". It seems a powerful DE, with an incredible amount of customization options, but it seems also just too much for me.

My two cents.

V.

Comment

XFCE, because it's stable. Though I have to admit with xfwm4 it isn't very pretty. I chose compiz instead.

Comment

Interesting article, Unity got over 16%.
        Statistics generated from the users of the GamingOnLinux website

Comment

Been using KDE, Gnome and gnome-shell so far. I'm using gnome-shell exclusively pretty much since it's launch and I'm quite happy with it.

Comment

Cinnamon. Looks great and modern (actually modern, not the Windows 10 "flat" style that's a major jump back to the past), shows me my running applications in a usable taskbar, and just works really, really well all-around. And I can start an app by pressing the Windows/OS key and typing the name of the application into the little search box. I cannot understand why there are DEs that don't have those features (or, for highly configurable DEs, why they don't have good default settings).

XFCE is ugly and so incredibly outdated. Don't care if it's 1% lighter on resources.

I'd rather use Unity on Mir than go back to XFCE.
            Last edited by Holograph; 06 May 2017, 09:15 AM.

Comment

In order of preference: Plasma5, Cinnamon, LxQt, Mate

If one(s) ahead is/are unstable on given OS, or unavailable, I'll take next one in the order.

Comment

I am on the same boat, using Unity for the last 6 years and now looking where I will go next.
                I have been using Budgie for about a week now and really liking it. If Budgie 11 will be the improvement devs are talking about, I believe it can be my daily driver.

Comment

I've actually distro hoped to Gnome 3, never liked it before, but now when using extensons like dash to dock I can se the appeal why some like it

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
                    I've actually distro hoped to Gnome 3, never liked it before, but now when using extensons like dash to dock I can se the appeal why some like it
                    Then it needs to be made default and an officially supported configuration. If they polish it and make it zero config, you might be on to something. But then they still need stop breaking icons and themes on purpose every chance they get. After all isn't gnome all about making your desktop unconfigurable? Isn't that their entire point? It would make sense to make the only configuration that makes sense the default. It's the only configuration that everyone needs to do. Instead they try to support a classic style desktop that is broken and nobody uses it. It's completely retarded. They need to make dash to dock official and make it the default.
                    Last edited by duby229; 20 August 2017, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X