BUS1 Is Working On A D-Bus Broker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    do you have anything to back up this random assertion?
    you'll see what I've just stated today.

Comment

OK, systemd and Wayland rant time.

I don't understand the difference between Wayland and X except that X has network trasparency and Wayland doesn't. The fact that I haven't used X forwarding in years and today it means stuffing windows as pixmaps every time they refresh is irrelevant, and the performance benefits are probably important to someone.

The difference between systemd and the old way of doing things is performance benefits which are presumably important to someone - certainly not to desktop users - but now systemd includes a bunch of reimplementations of daemons that I used to know what they did, who implemented them, and most importantly, what protocols they used, how to configure them, and what they could be expected to do.

Only knowing that this is Red Hat's blob and it does everything is as secure as only knowing that it's MS's blob and does everything. The difference between that and Linus' blob is, once again, that Linus' blob communicates with the rest of the system using well defined protocols, and also everyone follows its' development.

Security and stability don't come from arguments over BSD or GPL or proprietary, they come from knowing what to expect from software.

And the answer from the systemd fans is, learn systemd and its entire set of tools which are different from the normal tool every other program uses.

Fiancé's laptop used to run Windows 8, but got auto-updated to Windows 10. The profile setting to change tooltip colors was removed in Windows 10, and the GUI to change it, but the setting was migrated from Windows 8 anyway, meaning she can't change it back to the default. That's what happens when you don't care about well defined protocols between components.

Why am I comparing systemd to Windows? Because I can't remember all the crazy error messages I've gotten from systemd when my computers haven't booted because I screwed something or other up.

Also, while we're talking about booting up, why does everyone want to hide what the system is doing while booting up or replace the messages with their own messages? Isn't not knowing what's happening scarier than knowing what's happening?

Comment

Originally posted by eigenlambda View Post
        OK, systemd and Wayland rant time.
        Next time, do a proper research. The entire post has so many misconceptions about systemd and wayland it literally beat a dead horse.
        The topic is about BUS1, not that rant again.

Comment

Where's the hurry ? Let them refactor and repeat until they have something that they can present and that has the chance of being universally useful.

Whoever needs DBUS can certainly have it as it is now.

World is full of broken projects that had to be presented "just because"...
          Last edited by Brane215; 18 March 2017, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
            Next time, do a proper research. The entire post has so many misconceptions about systemd and wayland it literally beat a dead horse.
            The topic is about BUS1, not that rant again.
            Well but it is that rant again, just under another name.

Also getting to the heart of the problem is that many servers do not need another ipc for their programs as they already use systemv ipc which works fine.
            Right. And kdbus or bus1 or whatever eventually ends up being merged is for those what do.

And real-time control applications, be-it embedded or workstation, where latency really is a issue.

I'm sure I'm not the only coder around here absolutely intrigued by in-kernel IPC. If Linus eventually decides "no", that's one thing. At least his will be an educated and informed decision.

Comment

Originally posted by notanoob View Post
              But systemd is a overreaching peice of poorly written software that does many jobs not in the description of "initialization system" it is more likend to "control everything system". That is fine if it floats your boat but it is not the only option. Also bus1 is of debatable usage anyways.

Why do you need ipc? Especially why do you need it in the kernel? I can tell you that IPC in android is used mainly by google for determining when to render and remove rendered stuff and by hackers for exploits. It is buggy in android and serves little good outside of rendering order. Wayland already has ipc for rendering order and the linux kernel also has ipc from systemv and a form to itself for whatever data transfer your heart desires.

Also getting to the heart of the problem is that many servers do not need another ipc for their programs as they already use systemv ipc which works fine.
              Are you an actual real person? As a developer/programmer I can tell you that you're basically wrong on all points. Please stop spilling your speculations/ejaculations on the internets.

Comment

Originally posted by notanoob View Post

But systemd is a overreaching peice of poorly written software that does many jobs not in the description of "initialization system" it is more likend to "control everything system".
                And this shows that in all the years of debate about systemd you have not learned a single bit. systemd doesn't want to be just an init system, it wants to be (and achieves that aim pretty well) a set of building blocks for an operating system. That you still doesn't got that basically disqualifies you from any serious discussion.

Comment

yeah, it's better and more modern and needed to keep up with windows and macos and we're stuck with it now anyway. Also I'm a luddite who refuses to learn new things and as an end luser I shouldn't expect to know or care. Also it's free software so if I wanted to know I could follow its' development.

Comment

Originally posted by eigenlambda View Post
                    yeah, it's better and more modern and needed to keep up with windows and macos and we're stuck with it now anyway. Also I'm a luddite who refuses to learn new things and as an end luser I shouldn't expect to know or care. Also it's free software so if I wanted to know I could follow its' development.
                    </irony>

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                      you'll see what I've just stated today.
                      argument by assertion does not work

Comment

Working...
                      X