Linux 4.11-rc1 Kernel Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    I found another solution, as I didn't wan't to get into the hassle of compiling the kernel myself. Beware that the following only works for Ubuntu and is not the cleanest solution.

The solution for me was to upgrade Ubuntu 16.10 to 17.04 temporarily, so as to update ONLY the kernel packages (CIK is exposed by default in the 4.10 of 17.04), and then roll back the repositories to 16.10.
    This way you won't get any updates when new kernel packages are released by Ubuntu. In case of severe bugs or security issues this can be fatal. A better solution would be activating the 17.04 repos but pinning the whole system to 16.10, except the kernel packages. Or you're setting up a private repo with only the kernel packages and sync this on a regular basis.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckPoltergeist View Post

This way you won't get any updates when new kernel packages are released by Ubuntu. In case of severe bugs or security issues this can be fatal. A better solution would be activating the 17.04 repos but pinning the whole system to 16.10, except the kernel packages. Or you're setting up a private repo with only the kernel packages and sync this on a regular basis.
      Well, I said it was not the cleanest solution. Pinning the system to 16.10 with 17.04 will have the same security impact you mention, just on other packages than the kernel.

For an updated version of the kernel, it's easy to switch back every once in a while to 17.04 to update kernel packages and then roll back.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
        Pinning the system to 16.10 with 17.04 will have the same security impact you mention, just on other packages than the kernel.
        Why? Ubuntu 16.10 is still supported. What security impact are you speaking about here?

For an updated version of the kernel, it's easy to switch back every once in a while to 17.04 to update kernel packages and then roll back.
        For me those manual solutions are too error-prone. A local repo only for kernel-packages prevents from forgetting the update as much as upgrading the whole system by accident.

Comment

Working...
        X