X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomtomme
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    There is no calendar in Thunderbird without the lightning extension.
    Right. But since https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde.../releasenotes/
    Lightning is integrated / shipped and enabled by default with thunderbird, be it an extension or not.

Leave a comment:

• ldo17
    replied
    Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post

BTW, after switching Akonadi's backend from MySQL to PostgreSQL, performance has improved quite a bit.
    DId they try SQLite?

Leave a comment:

• Alejandro Nova
    replied
    Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    Akonadi was destined to be one of the three pillars to KDE. In the end it was one of three pillows to KDE. The root cause is lack of quality. Anything related to KDE-PIM is pre-production. After 10 years it doesnt work, got crashers and had no code audit for security problems. It is a mess. Do the world a favor and drop it.
    This is exactly what Sink is for. It's going to replace Akonadi.

BTW, after switching Akonadi's backend from MySQL to PostgreSQL, performance has improved quite a bit.

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
    Thunderbird has callendar and contacts integrated without addons.
    There is no calendar in Thunderbird without the lightning extension. It has basic local contacts without an add-on, but not contact sync (such as google contacts, groupware, or even CardDav) without an add-on.

It is in maintenance mode, not abandoned. It gets regular fixes and is thus very stable.
    Uh, yeah, that is exactly what I said. But it is not getting any new features, especially not the professional-level features KDE's PIM suite already has.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomme
    replied
    TheBlackCat Thunderbird has callendar and contacts integrated without addons. It is in maintenance mode, not abandoned. It gets regular fixes and is thus very stable. Some of your other points still may be true.

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    Why not use thunderbird. What is better / purpose with / of akonadi or sink? I never used kmail. Nust wondering wht their goal is in comparison to thunderbird.
    Thunderbird is an email client. kdepim is a full PIM suite, including mail, contacts handling, calendar, note taking, etc. integrated into a single platform. Thunderbird can get some semblance of that with add-ons, but it isn't designed for that purpose. People for the most part don't need mail clients anymore. Almost anyone doing anything simple enough for an ordinary mail client to work are just using web mail these days, while corporate environments with more complicated needs require a full PIM suite. So there isn't much space for thunderbird in practice. People still use it, but not like they used to.

More importantly, thunderbird is essentially abandoned. It is getting bug fixes, but essentially no real development. This is an ongoing problem at Mozilla. They keep on spending most of their resources on prospective projects that end up failing miserably, while letting the software they have that people need and use all the time fall by the wayside. Thunderbird has been abandoned and even Firefox has fallen behind. Thunderbird could have been re-imagined it as a full PIM suite that corporate users would have been all over, but instead Mozilla put their resources into their failed Firefox OS that nobody used. And when they realized this, instead of re-focusing on their core projects they decided to switch attention to the "Internet of Things".

This leaves KDE's PIM suite as the only real open-source PIM suite under active development. In fact, if I recall correctly it is one of the major reasons companies like Blue Systems are investing in KDE. Their corporate clients really need that sort of software.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomme
    replied
    Why not use thunderbird. What is better / purpose with / of akonadi or sink? I never used kmail. Nust wondering wht their goal is in comparison to thunderbird.

Leave a comment:

• lumks
    replied
    When there is a addressbook with card-dav support and a mail client with gmail support, i'll delete akonadi just in that moment.

Right now I'm so happy that someone is working on akonadi2 .. uhm sink* we really need a new mail client. I mean kmail is working just fine for me with 7 accounts but it feels old and *is* slow. On top of that the akonady dav-sync feature is a bit ... slow/frustrating?

So gogogo sinkteam! and thanks!

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    This looks nice. Unfortunately, it's the kind of application no one needs/will install an alpha or beta build

Leave a comment:

• OlafLostViking
    replied
    Originally posted by theghost View Post
    Somehow Kontact/KDE Pim/... never worked out for me in all the years.
    Let's hope "sink" doesn't turn into a trainwreck like Akonadi. I actually like the KDE-PIM suite; but am fighting far too often against Akonadi. So, good luck, Kube/Sink team! "Make KDE-PIM great again!" ;-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X