Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNU Linux-Libre 4.10: GPU Drivers Remain The Most Frequent Offenders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GNU Linux-Libre 4.10: GPU Drivers Remain The Most Frequent Offenders

    Phoronix: GNU Linux-Libre 4.10: GPU Drivers Remain The Most Frequent Offenders

    The GNU Linux-libre 4.10 kernel was released last weekend just after the official Linux 4.10 kernel release while I hadn't noticed the de-blobbed kernel release until today. The Linux-libre folks continue to criticize the open-source GPU DRM drivers as being offenders for using binary blob firmware/microcode...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-4.10-Released

  • #2
    GPU drivers are most frequent offenders even without that blob firmwares question

    GPU drivers produces most of the people noise about any OS anyway

    Comment


    • #3
      I thought these were the folks who tried to make the drivers work without the blobs - seems like they're just making the drivers useless instead. Would there be much point in using this kernel if you used any hardware that requires microcode?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        I thought these were the folks who tried to make the drivers work without the blobs - seems like they're just making the drivers useless instead. Would there be much point in using this kernel if you used any hardware that requires microcode?
        Last time i tried it on AMD AM1 platfrom it was fine, i lose AMD CPU microcode update and i lose r8169 firmware update - both are just recommended but not required. You might happen to need these but you might not, that just depends as some hardware revisions might just came with latest firmwares so you don't need really these or your hardware just might not be affected by the changes so it does not require it really.

        Only major problem are GPU drivers again, there if you miss even essential firmwares it makes things really unusable

        I even tried to do funny thing like loading fglrx on that gnu kernel and guess what... it does not complained abut that - everything worked

        There is no difference there to proper linux kernel, other than basically non-free firmware/microcode loading infrastucture is disabled.
        Last edited by dungeon; 02-26-2017, 08:40 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dungeon View Post

          Last time i tried it on AMD AM1 platfrom it was fine, i lose AMD CPU microcode update and i lose r8169 firmware update - both are just recommended but not required. You might happen to need these but you might not, that just depends as some hardware revisions might just came with latest firmwares so you don't need really these or your hardware just might not be affected by the changes so it does not require it really.

          Only major problem are GPU drivers again, there if you miss even essential firmwares it makes things really unusable

          I even tried to do funny thing like loading fglrx on that gnu kernel and guess what... it does not complained abut that - everything worked

          There is no difference there to proper linux kernel, other than basically non-free firmware/microcode loading infrastucture is disabled.
          I have blobs for my intel graphics, amdgpu graphics, bluetooth, ath10k wifi and the advanced features of my creative HDA soundcard - only the later is optional

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            I thought these were the folks who tried to make the drivers work without the blobs - seems like they're just making the drivers useless instead. Would there be much point in using this kernel if you used any hardware that requires microcode?
            Intel Skylake+ (for now) can work without GuC/HuC firmware blobs for example, but obviously for like AMDGPU/Radeon there is no suitable workaround for running well without the firmware blobs... They basically strip out the firmware blob support and from there your mileage may vary. So yeah, with most newer hardware the Linux-libre kernel will only bork your system.
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              I have blobs for my intel graphics, amdgpu graphics, bluetooth, ath10k wifi and the advanced features of my creative HDA soundcard - only the later is optional
              Yeah linux-libre is not for anyone of course, it is for these who like to be sure there is no non-free involved there at all... from that point it is nice

              Debian kernels and default installation methods also behave like that, with only difference that there loading is disabled by default but remain optional, on the other side with these Libre-kernels it is force disabled and there is no option.
              Last edited by dungeon; 02-26-2017, 10:09 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                These open source maniacs are funny. If you're fascist about freedom, it's NOT freedom at all.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  These open source maniacs are funny. If you're fascist about freedom, it's NOT freedom at all.
                  While I reject the unnecessary godwin, I agree with the message. Freedom is the liberty to decide if I want to use a binary blob or not. Taking away options is restriction. Holding the user hostage to force him to fight for your way satirizes the words freedom and liberty.

                  Overcoming poor solutions can be done by working towards better solutions.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by sleeksorrow View Post
                    Freedom is the liberty to decide if I want to use a binary blob or not.
                    So how you decide that you don't want it if blob is required so you really have no that option in the first place? Basically in some cases that is pushed in the exactly same way these guys do the opposite

                    I totally understand their point, as if someone gives you something what works only with a blob that is not an option anymore or with no other options that is same crap so you are better to not have it
                    Last edited by dungeon; 02-27-2017, 01:42 AM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X