Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• systemd 233 Is Around The Corner With More Additions, Changes

Phoronix: systemd 233 Is Around The Corner With More Additions, Changes

Systemd 233 is expected to be released in the days ahead and as usual it's packing new features and various additions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it include a kitchen sink? Or does it make coffee? Not yet? What a bummer.

Comment

One thing that i really miss and should go in as a systemd feature is a dynamic/runtine environment variable setup tool

right now you have ha hard time to add a user/systemwide env variable with setting it up and restart your session / computer.

what i would like to see is something like

Code:
      envd --user COLOR=red
      pkexec envd --system MAGIC=true
      and this is enabled for every app that is now restartet.

Because i hate to set up env variables with 1000000different possibilities in

Code:
      /etc/environment;/etc/profile.d/*;/etc/rc.local;/etc/<oneOf1000shells>/*
      and the userdir equals of them. It would be nice to have one source, dynamic that we can also can setup as systemd startup job and can dynamically changed via packagemanager script.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
        It would be nice to have one source, dynamic that we can also can setup as systemd startup job and can dynamically changed via packagemanager script.
        DefaultEnvironment in /etc/systemd/system.conf + "systemctl set-environment" command.

Comment

Imo the most interesting bit is systemd-resolved stub resolver will actually work properly in this release

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
            DefaultEnvironment in /etc/systemd/system.conf + "systemctl set-environment" command.
            Thats not what I asked for.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              Imo the most interesting bit is systemd-resolved stub resolver will actually work properly in this release
              I hope so, because it is a mess in systems 232 on Ubuntu 17.04 for me.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post

Thats not what I asked for.
                Did you look at set environment because it is exactly what you asked for.

Comment

root and home(with user keys) fs encryption should become default to prevent random people chrooting into your disk...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I hope so, because it is a mess in systems 232 on Ubuntu 17.04 for me.
                    Well, there was at least one major missing feature as in it wasn't giving out recursive results for CNAME's so a lot of clients never got the final IP addresses if CNAME's were involved. Eg Chrome wasn't affected: it looks like it was probably spamming additional queries until it got the data it needed. Note that this is only about stub resolver, not nsswitch

Comment

Working...
                    X