• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zerothis View Post
    If Linux gets clang'ed I'm switching to HURD
    What's wrong with Clang?

Comment

Why? I love the Free Software Foundation and the GPL, but there's nothing wrong with having the Linux kernel buildable by more than one C compiler.

Comment

... you're going to switch to a different kernel just because people will be able to compile Linux with anything other than GCC?

Comment

Are there any other features you would have enjoyed seeing in Linux 4.10? Share your thoughts with us this weekend in the Phoronix Forums.

Nouveau support for Vulkan? Not that I expect it to appear in the kernel anytime soon, but definitely would have liked to hear it is being worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
            I'll be curious to see what impact, if any, comes of the BufferBloat wifi improvements. I tried to read some of the more technical discussions of the work being done. But for anything more sophisticated than "it makes wifi faster", the details were too much for me.
            it makes latency lower. significantly

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Ten Features You Will Not Find In The Mainline Linux 4.10 Kernel
              Also no 100000% performance improvement to everything and no infinite money pouring out of the computer every 2 minutes. Why is it always the unimportant things being mentioned?

Comment

Originally posted by rewik View Post
                ... you're going to switch to a different kernel just because people will be able to compile Linux with anything other than GCC?
                Not to mention the fact that HURD has much more limited h/w support currently. So I wonder if it'll even run on his computer and/or work well...

Comment

Are there any other features you would have enjoyed seeing in Linux 4.10?
                  Full support for Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.
                  The 4.10 kernel did seem to include limited support for it.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    it makes latency lower. significantly
                    Cool. I'm more interested in improvements to throughput, but I'll take what I can get. I have 802.11ac access points and wireless cards, but to get faster than 300 mbps throughput I need the antenna within ten feet of the access point. If I had known that before I made the upgrade, I would have saved myself a lot of money by sticking with 802.11n.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                      Cool. I'm more interested in improvements to throughput, but I'll take what I can get. I have 802.11ac access points and wireless cards, but to get faster than 300 mbps throughput I need the antenna within ten feet of the access point. If I had known that before I made the upgrade, I would have saved myself a lot of money by sticking with 802.11n.
                      wifi ac is a bit of a scam in general, but directional antennas help quite a bit.

Comment

Working...
                      X