Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    it may be useful for people without working video output during boot
    Only if the tech knows morse code. I don't. I mean sure we could hear dots and dashes, but what does that help if it isn't understood?

Grub2 is way too bloated. It's a boot loader, that's its job. And because feature creep is grubs number one cause of breakage it is grubs number one problem. But instead of removing all the buggy features and automation scripts they just keep adding more buggy features and automation scripts. The surface area for breakage is enormous. It's out of hand.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Grub2 is way too bloated. It's a boot loader, that's its job. And because feature creep is grubs number one cause of breakage it is grubs number one problem. But instead of removing all the buggy features and automation scripts they just keep adding more buggy features and automation scripts. The surface area for breakage is enormous. It's out of hand.
      They don't seem to be especially good when it comes to automated testing/unit testing either... It feels like the development speed in their projects is snail-like, at best. Reminds me of the Vim codebase, compared to NeoVim.

Comment

I wish distributions have ready to use systemd-boot without need for writing config and scripts for copying initrd.

Comment

Why I use sys/extlinux? Because it's simple. I have tried out GRUB2. The "Yo Dawg!" -mechanism of scripts creating scripts is somewhat absurd. I mean... It's just a bootloader. And now it can talk morse? Anyway. The automated script didn't automagically recognize my raid1 arrays, so I gave up.
          Best way (imho) to use GRUB2 is to learn scripting the GRUBsh syntax and build your own "config" file. I haven't bothered becuase sys/extlinux exists.
          Maybe some day I'll try it again.
          Last edited by Zucca; 16 February 2017, 12:16 PM. Reason: Typofixing.

Comment

TrueCrypt support? Wasn't that deprecated like 3 years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
              I feel like i've been waiting for F2FS booting...
              No kidding; I was hoping to stop using the f2fs support patch:

Aren't there a couple major distributions using it too? I had to modify the reoif";; to reoi";; so it could build with 2.02-rc1.

Comment

I mean sure we could hear dots and dashes, but what does that help if it isn't understood?
                shouldn't be that hard to google

Comment

Only if the tech knows morse code. I don't. I mean sure we could hear dots and dashes, but what does that help if it isn't understood?
                  Or they have a smartphone handy with a Morse reader app installed.

Comment

Is there any capable alternative (i dont mind to pay for it) which is able to boot WIndows / Linux / MacOS on non and UEFI systems?

Do someone know from which version is M.2 boot supported?

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
                      Is there any capable alternative (i dont mind to pay for it) which is able to boot WIndows / Linux / MacOS on non and UEFI systems?
                      Do someone know from which version is M.2 boot supported?
                      Syslinux supports UEFI and Windows, etc. Its what I used to use until I changed my netbook to Grub with the F2FS patch.

As for the M.2, that is independent of a bootloader. You just need your system BIOS/UEFI to enumerate it.

Comment

Working...
                      X