Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten Exciting Features Of The Linux 4.10 Kernel

Phoronix: Ten Exciting Features Of The Linux 4.10 Kernel

The Linux 4.10 kernel didn't end up being released today, but was pushed back by an extra week. However, in looking forward to next weekend, here are ten of the features that excite us about Linux 4.10...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For Desktop/Laptop/Tablet usage, In my opinion, the most important feature in 4.10 is going to be Scheduler Aware Power Saving Policy

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Stay tuned for my AMD Ryzen Linux benchmarks in the weeks ahead.
      Will do. Does this mean you have early access to it? It isn't supposed to launch for two weeks yet. Curious to see which chips you're going to test

Comment

Would be great if Google updated the Nexus 5X to use the 4.10 kernel.
        But that's unfortunately, probably not going to happen.

Comment

I hope they backport those Ryzen patches to earlier kernel versions.

I'm planning on buying a Ryzen CPU day one and because most distros don't update the kernel willy-nilly I'd hate to have to have to start messing with the kernel break the "If you don't need to fiddle with it, THEN DON'T FIDDLE WITH IT!!!" policy I try to follow with things like this.

Comment

O
            Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

I'm planning on buying a Ryzen CPU day one and because most distros don't update the kernel willy-nilly I'd hate to have to have to start messing with the kernel break the "If you don't need to fiddle with it, THEN DON'T FIDDLE WITH IT!!!" policy I try to follow with things like this.
            I'm personally glad in Fedora kernel is explicitly excepted so updates will happen for stable releases

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

If by "they" you mean AMD, then the answer is most likely "no". But I'm sure distro maintainers will port whatever needs to be ported.
              If memory serves me right, it's not the CPU that's hard to enable, it's the chipset, the 3rd party controllers on the motherboard and the quirky UEFI implementations we need to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                If by "they" you mean AMD, then the answer is most likely "no". But I'm sure distro maintainers will port whatever needs to be ported.
                When have hardware vendors themselves ever done backports? From my understanding backports have always been the responsibility of distro maintainers.

If memory serves me right, it's not the CPU that's hard to enable, it's the chipset, the 3rd party controllers on the motherboard and the quirky UEFI implementations we need to worry about.
                This is what actually worries me. Basic support was pushed into mainline last year already, but I can't recall anything beyond that being pushed until now.

Comment

ath9k improvements are confirmed?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    Back porting and "stable" distributions are waste of resources.
                    of someone else resources. while compiling kernel by hand is waste of your own resources

Comment

Working...
                    X