X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L_A_G
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Back porting and "stable" distributions are waste of resources.
    Not if you prefer software that's had most of the kinks and serious problems worked out before they're adopted by the distro and not after.

2. Stable distros have old and buggy software, see bugzillas.
    You do understand that older software is "buggier" in terms of official bug count mainly because they've had more time to look for those bugs? The fact that you don't know about bugs in your "unstable" versions of software doesn't mean they're not there.

What you're saying is basically the same as saying that brand new models of cars are better and have fewer faults than models that have been on the market for a few years and actually had the time to start manifesting problems like leaking seals, electrical faults, and failures of belts, bearings, hinges and other moving parts susceptible to wear and tear.
    Last edited by L_A_G; 13 February 2017, 09:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Back porting and "stable" distributions are waste of resources.
    of someone else resources. while compiling kernel by hand is waste of your own resources

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    ath9k improvements are confirmed?

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    If by "they" you mean AMD, then the answer is most likely "no". But I'm sure distro maintainers will port whatever needs to be ported.
    When have hardware vendors themselves ever done backports? From my understanding backports have always been the responsibility of distro maintainers.

If memory serves me right, it's not the CPU that's hard to enable, it's the chipset, the 3rd party controllers on the motherboard and the quirky UEFI implementations we need to worry about.
    This is what actually worries me. Basic support was pushed into mainline last year already, but I can't recall anything beyond that being pushed until now.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
    I hope they backport those Ryzen patches to earlier kernel versions.

I'm planning on buying a Ryzen CPU day one and because most distros don't update the kernel willy-nilly I'd hate to have to have to start messing with the kernel break the "If you don't need to fiddle with it, THEN DON'T FIDDLE WITH IT!!!" policy I try to follow with things like this.
    If by "they" you mean AMD, then the answer is most likely "no". But I'm sure distro maintainers will port whatever needs to be ported.
    If memory serves me right, it's not the CPU that's hard to enable, it's the chipset, the 3rd party controllers on the motherboard and the quirky UEFI implementations we need to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    O
    Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

I'm planning on buying a Ryzen CPU day one and because most distros don't update the kernel willy-nilly I'd hate to have to have to start messing with the kernel break the "If you don't need to fiddle with it, THEN DON'T FIDDLE WITH IT!!!" policy I try to follow with things like this.
    I'm personally glad in Fedora kernel is explicitly excepted so updates will happen for stable releases

Leave a comment:

• L_A_G
    replied

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Would be great if Google updated the Nexus 5X to use the 4.10 kernel.
    But that's unfortunately, probably not going to happen.

Leave a comment:

• lvlark
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Stay tuned for my AMD Ryzen Linux benchmarks in the weeks ahead.
    Will do. Does this mean you have early access to it? It isn't supposed to launch for two weeks yet. Curious to see which chips you're going to test

Leave a comment:

• RickXy
    replied
    For Desktop/Laptop/Tablet usage, In my opinion, the most important feature in 4.10 is going to be Scheduler Aware Power Saving Policy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X