No announcement yet.

WebP 0.6 Released With Performance/Compression Improvements, img2webp Utility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WebP 0.6 Released With Performance/Compression Improvements, img2webp Utility

Phoronix: WebP 0.6 Released With Performance/Compression Improvements, img2webp Utility

We knew WebP 0.6 was coming and this week it's now been officially released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mozilla just needs to hurry up and support the webp format in Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
      As Safari has the larger market share they matter more so I'm hoping they don't take too long about it. https://www.cnet.com/news/apple-ios-...-speed-up-web/

Browsers with support include "image/webp" in the "accepts" header, which lets the server choose which to send back, or it can be selected client-side using the <picture> tag (my less preferred option) so it is just about possible to support now.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
        I hope not, since it's based on obsolete technology.

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post

I hope not, since it's based on obsolete technology.
          Sure it is, but it's the best obsolete technology that is supported by a larger portion of mainstream browsers right now than any other. If Firefox decided to ignore WebP and implement BPG, for example, then we'd still be in a situation of waiting for other browsers to catch up.

Edit: comparison of support for various formats: http://caniuse.com/#search=image%20format
          Last edited by ResponseWriter; 02 February 2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post

Sure it is, but it's the best obsolete technology that is supported by a larger portion of mainstream browsers right now than any other. If Firefox decided to ignore WebP and implement BPG, for example, then we'd still be in a situation of waiting for other browsers to catch up.
            However, if they adopt it, we're stuck with it, and will have to support it forever. So if we're gonna add a new format to the web, it should be the best possible. I would rather see them wait and make a new format based on AV1. If the AOMedia members will support it, it should exceed WebP in support.

BPG isn't gonna work, since it's patented.

Comment

Working...
            X