Musl 1.1.16 Released, Fixes CVE Integer Overflow, s390x Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

I know that but why isnt musl glibc compatible? They are so strict to standards that they dont implement useful functions that should have been standard in the first place. Also some people like to avoid glibc. So i am jsut wondering.
    musl to my knowledge tries hard to keep binary compatibility with glibc, making it unfair to say that it is not glibc compatible.

Moreover their faq states "plus common extensions, intended for use on Linux-based systems", marking your second sentence as incorrect.

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post

So don’t run those GNU applications, stick to ones that work with Linux. That is why we call our platform “Linux” and not “GNU” ...
    Linux is not a libc.

Comment

Just to mention, there is a desktop distribution based on musl: http://releases.freeharbor.net/ . There is also an uclibc based one here.

Comment

Originally posted by float View Post
        Linux is not a libc.
        You can’t use it without one.

Comment

You can’t use it without one.
          Sure you can. But even if you could not, I can not see how this would be relevant to the discussion.

Comment

Surely they are both POSIX-compatible, and that is enough.
            Just look at the functions systemd uses that are missing in musl. My thought are that some intermediate layer on top of musl could made to make most programs musl compatible by implementing some basic functions that should be standard in the first place. It wont make musl with the layer much bigger at all. And any weird non-standard behavior from there on should be reported upstream.

Comment

binary compatibility with glibc
              Not what i was talking about at all

common extensions
              Do they make musl compatible with systemd for example? ( I believe it doesnt)

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post

One point of dislike for me is that glibc is huge. If you build linux from scratch, nothing takes longer to compile than glibc. Everything else being equal, more code means more bugs.

Unfortunately, it's hard to avoid glibc on a desktop system, since most user programs link against it. It would be a huge amount of work to maintain a desktop distro that used something other than glibc. The weird and obscure bugs would be endless.
                There's Alpine Linux, a Linux distribution aimed at embedded systems that uses Musl instead GlibC

Comment

Not what i was talking about at all
                  You said that musl is not glibc compatible, which includes binary compatibility.

Do they make musl compatible with systemd for example? ( I believe it doesnt)
                  I do not know, why don't you try it and tell us the results? I think that systemd makes it explicit that they only support linux and glibc.
                  Also, musl does support many functions added by glibc such as asprintf

Comment

You said that musl is not glibc compatible, which includes binary compatibility.

I do not know, why don't you try it and tell us the results? I think that systemd makes it explicit that they only support linux and glibc.
                    Also, musl does support many functions added by glibc such as asprintf
                    Take a look at the mailing list and see yourself how many functions are missing and should be standard in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

There's Alpine Linux, a Linux distribution aimed at embedded systems that uses Musl instead GlibC
                      Yes, Alpine Linux is one of my favorite distros, due to it's small size and minimalist design. But I think it would be difficult to use as a day-to-day desktop system. There are people doing just that, so it's not impossible.

Comment

Working...
                      X