Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zlib 1.2.9 Released, First Update In Three Years

Phoronix: Zlib 1.2.9 Released, First Update In Three Years

Zlib 1.2.9 was released this weekend as the first update to this data compression library in more than three years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The less updates the better I guess. Zlib is used pretty much everywhere, if anything significant changed I'd have to fix a dozen projects of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
      The less updates the better I guess. Zlib is used pretty much everywhere, if anything significant changed I'd have to fix a dozen projects of mine.
      Why? The whole idea of dynamically linked libraries is to upgrade them without needing to touch every piece of software that uses them.

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post

Why? The whole idea of dynamically linked libraries is to upgrade them without needing to touch every piece of software that uses them.
        When an app comes with zlib it must customize zlib's build system to that of the app. Especially if the apps ships with a lib that in turn ships with/depends on zlib.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

When an app comes with zlib it must customize zlib's build system to that of the app. Especially if the apps ships with a lib that in turn ships with/depends on zlib.
          But that's the point - why does the app come with zlib, instead of just relying on the system-installed version? Did nobody learn from 2002, when a major security issue was found in zlib, and hundreds of applications with bundled copies of zlib had to individually be updated to fix the bug?

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

But that's the point - why does the app come with zlib, instead of just relying on the system-installed version? Did nobody learn from 2002, when a major security issue was found in zlib, and hundreds of applications with bundled copies of zlib had to individually be updated to fix the bug?
            More than that, its about practice as well, will people start changing things when libJpeg or libPNG will update?
            how about glibc? will people tweak their code because someone changed the memory copy function internally?
            its a library for a reason,
            they did not change the major version of that library for a reason,
            the API remains the same for a reason.

As noted above , Essential libraries should be shared across the system and not installed as stand-alone,
            For copy pasting different versions of the same library all over , We have windows for that.
            Last edited by Illasera; 02 January 2017, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Windows

Comment

Note 1.2.10 was just released to correct a couple of nasty bugs found after the 1.2.9 release.

Comment

Working...
                X