Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FLAC 1.3.2 Audio Codec Released

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FLAC 1.3.2 Audio Codec Released

    Phoronix: FLAC 1.3.2 Audio Codec Released

    The Xiph.Org crew rung in 2017 by releasing FLAC 1.3.2 as the newest version of this free lossless audio codec...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...1.3.2-Released

  • #2
    Is there any way I can have FLAC decompress my old 1.3.1 library and re-compress using 1.3.2 automatically, preserving all metadata? I have quite a large library in a "author>album" folder structure.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by elapsed View Post
      Is there any way I can have FLAC decompress my old 1.3.1 library and re-compress using 1.3.2 automatically, preserving all metadata? I have quite a large library in a "author>album" folder structure.
      https://github.com/sirjaren/redoflacs

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by elapsed View Post
        Is there any way I can have FLAC decompress my old 1.3.1 library and re-compress using 1.3.2 automatically, preserving all metadata? I have quite a large library in a "author>album" folder structure.
        Why would you do that? The new version only takes care of some instances where the previous version wouldn't work right and cleans up the code a bit. But it will produce the same output in all other cases.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Why would you do that? The new version only takes care of some instances where the previous version wouldn't work right and cleans up the code a bit. But it will produce the same output in all other cases.
          compressing/decompressing heats up the house nicely.

          Comment


          • #6
            More than one library that doesn't update very often released an update today. I saw zlib 1.2.9 too.
            A good way to start 2017.

            Comment


            • #7
              Cool !

              So where's the source tarball ?

              Only git is available as of now

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bug77 View Post

                Why would you do that? The new version only takes care of some instances where the previous version wouldn't work right and cleans up the code a bit. But it will produce the same output in all other cases.
                Actually the new version might produce slightly smaller audio files that will produce the exact same raw audio data.
                The changelog (https://xiph.org/flac/changelog.html#flac_1_3_2) mentions an improvement in compression:
                Changed the LPC order guess for a slight compression improvement, particularly for classical music (Martijn van Beurden).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pankkake View Post
                  That looks awesome, thanks! I've got about 1Tb of FLACs that I've accumulated over the last 12 years, but I'm going to hold off until I have a Zen desktop to test/recompress/replaygain tag them all.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lem79 View Post
                    That looks awesome, thanks! I've got about 1Tb of FLACs that I've accumulated over the last 12 years, but I'm going to hold off until I have a Zen desktop to test/recompress/replaygain tag them all.
                    Wow, a lot of heat waiting to be generated.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X