Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 / F2FS / Btrfs / XFS On Early Linux 4.10 Kernel

Phoronix: EXT4 / F2FS / Btrfs / XFS On Early Linux 4.10 Kernel

Given all the changes with the Linux 4.10 kernel, including a fair amount of work on file-systems and block / I/O code, here are some fresh benchmarks of the EXT4, F2FS, Btrfs, and XFS file-systems atop a solid-state drive when comparing the early post-RC1 Linux 4.10 kernel benchmarks to that of the 4.6/4.7/4.8/4.9 stable kernels.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

BTRFS is the hurd of the file systems, we are almost in 2017 and it still sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gapil301 View Post
      BTRFS is the hurd of the file systems, we are almost in 2017 and it still sucks.
      I have great hopes on bcachefs, it is well designed and seems to already be in a good shape https://www.patreon.com/bcachefs

Comment

Originally posted by sligor View Post

I have great hopes on bcachefs, it is well designed and seems to already be in a good shape https://www.patreon.com/bcachefs
        Interesting, thx!

Comment

Could you include NILFS2?

Comment

All these tests tell me one thing. There is no way that tests designed for I/O would not reveal radical differences in speed for various filesystems and different io-ops unless there is just too much bloatware code around the actual test and the test itself.
            Like a dip in a test around a specific kernel version. Which should read as: There is just too much bloated crap, so kernel version choice of bloatware sabotage matter way more than actual filesystem with regard to speed.

Comment

The first page of results show btrfs really struggling, which is why I just moved back to EXT4 for the time being. It's a real shame to because the winbtrfs driver is coming along quite well! Ell well, guess it's time to call it! 'NEXT'... hope bcachefs can be thrown into the mix at some time in the future.

Comment

What a naive and closed-minded sentiment. By your logic, that's like saying "this luxury car sucks because it drives like a boat" when the reason is because of all the weight added from fancy features, quality materials, noise reduction, and a suspension meant to be compliant rather than sporty.

BTRFS is of the most advanced filesystems available to Linux. It has features that are very useful but can also cripple its performance, like copy-on-write. When configured properly, it is possible to make it outperform something like EXT4. There are articles on Phoronix showing how black and white the performance can be just based on how you configure it. With its default settings, BTRFS is pretty slow.

Comment

As usual, I'm glad I made the choice to use XFS. BTRFS is one of the most advanced filesystems as mentioned before-so advanced that it corrupts your entire filesystem after just one system freeze and useless tools that can't recover a darn thing. Love it!

Comment

did you read all benchmarks including where it was number one?
                    btw, what is speed of snapshotting of other filesystems in 2017? oh, it is 2017 and they still have no snapshots at all????
                    Last edited by pal666; 30 December 2016, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X