Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.9 Kernel Officially Released

Phoronix: Linux 4.9 Kernel Officially Released

The Linux 4.9 kernel has been officially released...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Announcement was sent few minutes after you posted the article. Hooray for patience.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
      Announcement was sent few minutes after you posted the article. Hooray for patience.

http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/k...2.1/01831.html
      - Patience is the level of endurance one can have before negativity.
      - Patience is stronger than force.
      - Patience is the weapon that forces deception to reveal itself.
      - Patience is when you're waiting for something better to happen.
      - Patience is the mother of all virtues and the godmother of madness.
      - Patience stagnates if isn't founded on hope.
      - Patience is moral elasticity.

Comment

That kernel is also bring the fix on ACPI for some laptop models i.e. X500Z series.

Comment

The interesting difference for amdgpu on my RX 480 is the cpu usage

4.8:

4.9:

I'm still not sure whether it is a regression.
          Overall CPU usage is a noticeable bit lower while everything else stays the same, but I'm worried that the CPU usage on that thread is a possible bottleneck on slower CPU or with rendering while CPU load is high.

Comment

I'll test it tonight. I noticed a significant decrease in NVMe performance between 4.8.4 and later 4.8 kernels. Let's see if this regression has been fixed in 4.9.

Comment

The ALX WOL patch no longer works so that must mean they did some work on the ALX driver. Did they finally fix WOL??

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                The interesting difference for amdgpu on my RX 480 is the cpu usage

4.8:

4.9:

I'm still not sure whether it is a regression.
                Overall CPU usage is a noticeable bit lower while everything else stays the same, but I'm worried that the CPU usage on that thread is a possible bottleneck on slower CPU or with rendering while CPU load is high.
                Looks like its using a single core first before spawning another worker thread. Saves a lot of context switching and locking to use 2 cores fully instead of 4 partially. Just a guess. Should test if the latencies are better.

Comment

My hacky and incomplete solution for "late frames" shows less of those, while the FPS remain the same, so this indicates an improvement there.

In unigine heaven the buffer wait times remain the same, but I tried native csgo and previously when there was some action on the screen the FPS would be somewhere between 50 and 100. Now they very rarely dip below 100 FPS and the buffer wait time has been massively reduced. On the other hand there was also a small csgo update, so perhaps it got improved from that side too.

edit:
                  A while ago: https://i.imgur.com/91T3iCJ.png
                  Now: https://i.imgur.com/CWpcxlf.png
                  The GPU load is even lower now, but (I think thanks the lowered buffer wait times) it runs a lot better.
                  Last edited by haagch; 13 December 2016, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                    My hacky and incomplete solution for "late frames" shows less of those, while the FPS remain the same, so this indicates an improvement there.

In unigine heaven the buffer wait times remain the same, but I tried native csgo and previously when there was some action on the screen the FPS would be somewhere between 50 and 100. Now they very rarely dip below 100 FPS and the buffer wait time has been massively reduced. On the other hand there was also a small csgo update, so perhaps it got improved from that side too.

edit:
                    A while ago: https://i.imgur.com/91T3iCJ.png
                    Now: https://i.imgur.com/CWpcxlf.png
                    The GPU load is even lower now, but (I think thanks the lowered buffer wait times) it runs a lot better.
                    in your screenshots there were more "late frames" though.

Comment

Working...
                    X