New Kernel Vulnerability Allows Local Root For Unprivileged Processes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
    As this is a use after free issue, is this something that could have been prevented simply by using Rust instead?
    Safe Rust would catch it, but in a kernel code like this might have to be wrapped in unsafe blocks anyway?
    Actually you don't need too much unsafe code in a kernel in Rust. Look at redox-os, for example. I'm almost sure it would have prevented it, since you don't actually free things in Rust, so, if it's used, it wasn't freed.

Comment

As this is a use after free issue, is this something that could have been prevented simply by using Rust instead?
      Safe Rust would catch it, but in a kernel code like this might have to be wrapped in unsafe blocks anyway?
      no, Rust can't prevent you from implementing false logic. Rust is no golden hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

no, Rust can't prevent you from implementing false logic. Rust is no golden hammer.
        I used Rust last week and my cancer is gone, so please do not post BS.

Now I am just waiting Master5000 to wake up and prove the world that Linux sux once again.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
          Honestly. If you care about security you should be using Windows. There are lot of nerdy reasons to use linux, but security is not one of them.
          However the patch has already been released, you could get it now and patch yourself, distro's will have the update very soon.

This is quite different to Windows where there are 16 yr old flaws in the all versions of Windows from XP onward that can NEVER be fixed...

i.e

http://blog.ensilo.com/atombombing-a...rity-solutions

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10...y_researchers/

http://thehackernews.com/2016/10/cod...on-attack.html

This cannot be fixed, its not a code issue its a design one, fixing the flaw would break pretty much all existing Windows applications.
          Last edited by yossarianuk; 07 December 2016, 06:06 AM.

Comment

As much as I like rust, I don't think there is any chance of the Linux kernel being written in anything except for C. If you are interested in a Unix-compatible Rust kernel, see Redox.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
              Honestly. If you care about security you should be using Windows. There are lot of nerdy reasons to use linux, but security is not one of them.
              You made my day! There's no more insecure system over Windows. Known security holes unfixed by months, broken design that allows viruses from xp era to affect your newest shinny NSA Windows 10.

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianuk View Post
                This cannot be fixed, its not a code issue its a design one, fixing the flaw would break pretty much all existing Windows applications.
                So it's official: winblows is broken by design.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

I used Rust last week and my cancer is gone, so please do not post BS.

Now I am just waiting Master5000 to wake up and prove the world that Linux sux once again.
                  I learned rust last week and became a millionaire today! You should try it.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

I learned rust last week and became a millionaire today! You should try it.
                    True, Donald Trump switched from C to Rust and see how successful he is:

- the Trump Tower
                    - the Trump Airplane
                    - the Real Big Boss of America Status

BTW I was reported that Raspoutine and Einstein are Rust's creators. Others rumors cite Droopy but lack of sources and have to be confirmed.

Comment

Working...
                    X