Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

And it was, and it was my fault:

"amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for amdgpu/tonga_k_smc.bin failed with error -2"

"amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: amdgpu_init failed"

I said I couldn't find anything in the logs, but I was dumb and wrong. Buried among all the "AMD-Vi: Event logged [" and "IO_PAGE_FAULT device=01:00.0" messages was the error message that I wasn't running new enough firmware, and never again shall I doubt the great kernel gods or trust my distros firmware package.
    The 4.9rc kernels used to boot to a black screen for me, too (380x), but then I got the file tonga_k_smc.bin from https://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode put it /lib/firmware/amdgpu and I was able to boot OK. I am using 4.9rc6 but rc7 boots to a black screen only for me again. Maybe I'll try to find a newer firmware file later.

Comment

Is Ubuntu Kernel not building with CIK set anymore? Or userptr? It was nice not having to compile the kernel myself.

Comment

I didn't think the Ubuntu kernel ever built with CIK set.

Is it possible you are thinking of the kernel driver package from amdgpu-pro, which *is* built with CIK enabled ?
        Test signature

Comment

I've never installed pro. Just looked in the kernel-ppa/mainline they have cik set for the 4.8.0 release. Not for any of the 4.9rcs i looked at though.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            We have not pushed Vega support out to public repos yet. Vega is a 2017 product despite all the rumors flying around.
            Well, just for the record, if AMD wanted out of the box Vega support now is probably when that code needed to come out.

The spring distros are probably going to be running linux 4.10, and the merge window for that is just around the corner.

Comment

Working...
            X