Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.9-rc7 Kernel Released: Final In 1~2 Weeks

Phoronix: Linux 4.9-rc7 Kernel Released: Final In 1~2 Weeks

The Linux 4.9-rc7 test kernel is now available although it's yet undecided whether there will be an RC8 before declaring it gold...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...9-rc7-Released

Any idea if this kernel will support AMD Vega, or for that some future kernels with newer amdgpu will be needed?

Comment

OK, hopefully it will come out in time before Vega release.

Comment

We have not pushed Vega support out to public repos yet. Vega is a 2017 product despite all the rumors flying around.
        Test signature

Comment

Is anyone able to boot this Kernel using the amdgpu driver on GCN 1.0 cards? Last time I checked there was no audio.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
            Is anyone able to boot this Kernel using the amdgpu driver on GCN 1.0 cards? Last time I checked there was no audio.
            On my GCN 1.0 machine it seems to work fine. On my r9-380 I just get a blank screen with any of the 4.9.0rc kernels though.

Comment

Interesting, that's exactly what I get now. Do you have any idea on why that happens?

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
                Interesting, that's exactly what I get now. Do you have any idea on why that happens?
                No, I'm assuming KMS is messed up, but there is nothing in the logs to show a problem. The machine responds to CTRL-ALT-DEL, and boots back into 4.8 just fine, so I'm not going to worry about. I'd like to think someone that knows how to file a proper bug report will do so before 4.9 is released, but I'd be willing to bet 4.9 gets released with amdgpu broken, to be honest.

Comment

Actually it looks like this is happening on 4.8, and never does on 4.9:

Nov 28 00:22:13 black kernel: fbcon: amdgpudrmfb (fb0) is primary device
                  Nov 28 00:22:13 black kernel: Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 320x98
                  Nov 28 00:22:13 black kernel: amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: fb0: amdgpudrmfb frame buffer device

So, I guess that explains the blank screen.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

No, I'm assuming KMS is messed up
                    And it was, and it was my fault:

"amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: Direct firmware load for amdgpu/tonga_k_smc.bin failed with error -2"

"amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: amdgpu_init failed"

I said I couldn't find anything in the logs, but I was dumb and wrong. Buried among all the "AMD-Vi: Event logged [" and "IO_PAGE_FAULT device=01:00.0" messages was the error message that I wasn't running new enough firmware, and never again shall I doubt the great kernel gods or trust my distros firmware package.

Comment

Working...
                    X