No announcement yet.

2.6.27 Kernel Killing Network Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I test to see what card I'm using so I don't encounter the problem when I update.

Also, isn't Canonical's work around just getting rid of that driver?

Also, would it be easier to just import the driver from a previous Kernel?

Possible problems I can see:
    1. It not being compatible with the 2.6.27 kernel
    2. It's not the driver that's corrupting (which that is being talked about in the bug report)

Thanks a lot.

Bas.

Comment

but it's also true that a user that's running 2.6.27rc must be at least a user that understands a minimum of "computer things" so he's able somehow to reflash it.
      anybody running -rc* kernels must be ready for anything, be it hardware failure, your pc killing your dog, or kernel devs kidnapping your girlfriend :]

Also, would it be easier to just import the driver from a previous Kernel?
      i think this one will nail down the problem - http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/9/23/431 .

the issue might lay deep within the kernel, and not the driver itself.

remember how rtorrent exposed a deep bug in the kernel in 2.6.18 ?

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
        If something like this happens for example with an Ubuntu stable release, oh well, I couldn't blame if Microsoft pays some newspaper to FUD about it..lol
        What most likely happened is Microsoft paid a Linux kernel saboteur to have the kernel trash your LAN card.

See: The Linux Kernel SABOTEURS at
        Discuss anything Linux related that doesn't fit into any of the other areas.
        Last edited by Jade; 26 September 2008, 07:04 PM.

Comment

oh....I was just joking but it seems the thing is more serious than I thought... I'll read your link!

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
            oh....I was just joking but it seems the thing is more serious than I thought... I'll read your link!
            Being friends with one of the Intel linux devs, he told me that this issue is most likely related to core kernel changes rather than a bug with the actual driver. The nvram on the e1000* based cards are shared between the rest of the hardware components on the machine, as its a part of the address space. Anything can have a flaw that writes to the wrong address, such blame can be bugs in the kernel, a buggy X11 graphics driver writing to a bad memory address, or a combination of both could be the culprit here. From what I understand this is mainly happening with laptops, and no reported happenings with PCIe based server adapters yet.

Comment

I know of one defect adapter on an asus q35 board. saidly the system locks when you try to load a patched driver (without crc check).

Comment

Working...
              X