No announcement yet.

When Trying Out Tumbleweed, It's Easy To See Why OpenSUSE Leap Disabled Nouveau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Trying Out Tumbleweed, It's Easy To See Why OpenSUSE Leap Disabled Nouveau

Phoronix: When Trying Out Tumbleweed, It's Easy To See Why OpenSUSE Leap Disabled Nouveau

I've been running some fresh benchmarks of the recently released openSUSE Leap 42.2 compared to the rolling-release openSUSE Tumbleweed and friends. Those benchmarks will be posted shortly, but after using the Nouveau experience on Tumbleweed I found the need to comment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I actually tried out plasma5 on my system with DRI_PRIME offloading and didn't got any crashes or something. I am quite sure that bugs are within the X code paths and don't have anything to do with the OpenGL things. But this are just guesses.

Comment

Be glad you didn't get crashes and kernel panics. The nouvea drivers really don't like multithreaded rendering.

Comment

Unfortunately, KDE on NVIDIA does not work well with the proprietary driver either if one is on an older card requiring the legacy version of the driver. A notable issue with the legacy proprietary driver is the Konsole that leaves a process behind on exit eating 100% cpu.

Comment

I haven't had too much trouble with the proprietary driver under KDE on my Dell Latitude D830 with a Quadro NVS140M running Kubuntu 16.10. Same laptop running Nouveau has a flickering screen and corruption. I haven't noticed any issue with Konsole, though.

Comment

I'm using Tumbleweed, and I did test nouveau somewhat recently. I didn't get the problem you're describing (there is minor corruption at times, but rarely), but instead I get random system lockups. It seems to be specific to my hardware, though. What is not specific is that QtWebEngine applications (QupZilla etc.) crash when trying to render much of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by callegar View Post
              Unfortunately, KDE on NVIDIA does not work well with the proprietary driver either if one is on an older card requiring the legacy version of the driver. A notable issue with the legacy proprietary driver is the Konsole that leaves a process behind on exit eating 100% cpu.
              First, you have to be running a really old card if you need the legacy driver.
              Second, it seems very unlikely for the video driver to cause the Konsole process to linger.

But I feel for you, if it doesn't work, it sucks, no matter what's the root cause.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

First, you have to be running a really old card if you need the legacy driver.
                Second, it seems very unlikely for the video driver to cause the Konsole process to linger.

But I feel for you, if it doesn't work, it sucks, no matter what's the root cause.
                Anything pre-fermi needs the legacy driver. Unfortunately, older cards are also less well supported by nouveau since the developers focus on ensuring hw capable of modern features gets supported ie. fermi and later. There is also the issue that the nouveau developers do not themselves run KDE, it makes it difficult for them to reproduce issues. There just aren't that many of them, they're volunteers and they're spread thin. They do amazing work all things considered.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                  Be glad you didn't get crashes and kernel panics. The nouvea drivers really don't like multithreaded rendering.
                  Either that, or the KDE code isn't following the rules for using OpenGL from multiple threads.

There are a lot of things that the Nvidia binary drivers do that aren't technically correct. There are even more compatibility hacks they do for game code that is doing it wrong. I've even heard that they give performance recommendations to game programmers that totally violate the rules but work faster with the Nvidia driver. Which is great for Nvidia but means AMD has to reverse engineer it or convince the game engine to use a different code path for AMD cards.

So anyway, just because some code works correctly for Nvidia or AMD drivers does not mean that code is correct and Nouveau is broken. It's possible Nouveau is broken, but also possible that it is following the rules as written while propriatary driver code is allowing multithreaded resource access that is technically against the rules.

Comment

Onboard GeForce 8200 running on Nouveau in Fedora 22 and KDE. No issues on my side. Might be a Maxwell-only issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X