No announcement yet.

Fujitsu SP Scanners Get Linux Support, Backed By Binary Blobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't get it. What makes printers and scanners different from all the other types of hardware that their drivers are not in the kernel?

Comment

I bought a scanner earlier this year.

Sane's Search List helped me locate one that has good support:

I went with the CanoScan Lide 110 at merely $60, it works great.

I then scanned 6,000 documents.

I honestly considered going with Fujitsu, HP and others until I learned their drivers were non-existent or bad.

I really was wanting a 16" x 20" or up but it seems like it's impossible to find even though scanning technology hasn't changed much in the last decade.

Business... and Money, Pushing Linux to New Grounds. Now if only companies put in a high demand for Adobe, Autodesk, and Macromedia Products that would help a bit.

Comment

Oh great... Maybe in a few decades time we'll have working kernel drivers... Google please save us...

Comment

This proprietary binary-only driver thing is worth a news?

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
          Oh great... Maybe in a few decades time we'll have working kernel drivers... Google please save us...
          One does not want such drivers in the kernel, for stability and security. Nothing wrong the user space drivers. The more the better, ...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            - SANE is inSANE. Why SANE management is so subpar and lacks so much funding?
            Because all people that whine aren't helping them with code contributions and $$$.

- Apple's CUPS sucks: It's none of my prefered CUPs of tea. Apple ought to GTFO, seriously! Why nobody forked it?
            Because all people that whine aren't really interested with contributing code and $$$ to such fork.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
              I honestly considered going with Fujitsu, HP and others until I learned their drivers were non-existent or bad.
              HP with bad printer/scanner drivers? I thought their printer/scanner support in linux was pretty good (Hint: I use/recommend quite a bit of HP printers/scanners/multifunction printers on linux).

Comment

Working...
              X