No announcement yet.

Linux 4.9-rc3 Kernel Released With Various Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry in advance for the dumb question, but is 4.9 still planned to become a LTS release or is it too early to tell or something else?
    Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Millions of people live in a climate where you need warm up your living space. Using pc for heating is greener than official heaters, because you do other things with pc at same time. They build nuclear energy plants, sun energy plants, water fall energy plants, wind will plants etc no matter how green you are. So its year 2000 life to use electric and not living in the middle age.
      I wouldn't say hydro power was all green: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...enhouse-gases/

I also wouldn't say that heating with a heater instead of a PC is greener because you can do other things with the PC. What makes you think that using regular heaters for the sole purpose of heating somehow prevents all other activities? Sure if you're doing regular office work and heating anyways, heating with a more powerful PC might be a good idea since you get some productivity gains. But in some countries lots of energy is used to cool down the offices. It's not immediately clear what is environmentally friendlier. For instance I've visited classrooms in northern Germany and Denmark and it was still quite warm in the early September. They had to use electrical ventilation and AC to cool down a classroom. So at least 50% of the time they had to cool things and only a small fraction of the european population lives on the northern side with even colder climate. Finland + Sweden + Norway = maybe 20 million. Iceland 0,3M, Scotland ~5M. That's 5% of the european population.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Yep. Canada is certainly one of those places - and there has been a big stink about phasing out most of the common incandescent bulbs. We are far enough away from the equator that during the summer we don't need artificial light much (the sun is up as long as we are) and during the winter everyone was nagged to replace their incandescent bulbs with environmentally dubious compact fluorescent bulbs "to save electricity" and ended up cranking up the electric heat to compensate.
        Modern LED lights (CRI > 90) have a better color spectrum than any incandescent or CFL. They're also efficient. My flashlight uses the latest Cree XP-G leds and produces around 170-190 lumens per watt so basically the max power is 1000 lm @ 6W. That means excellent battery life (two li-ion 18650s). The CRI > 90 full spectrum lights produce around 90-100 lumens per watt (CRI 80 or CRI 70 models with worse spectrums go up to 190 lm/W). A good power source has an efficiency of 91-94%. Compare that to incandescent bulbs with 16 lm/W efficiency. Especially in an office with a huge number of tube style lights, you can't even consider incandescent bulbs. They'd use 1000W per lamp. Image a room with 20kW power draw just for the lights. Sounds like a sauna.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Meanwhile, India and China (that can't really afford to dick around with silly things like solar/wind while still burning coal as that has limits too) are pushing on nuclear and hydro.
          Yep, it pleases me that all the great things done in our country are still happening. I just wish more of them were still happening here.

Originally posted by hussam View Post
          Sorry in advance for the dumb question, but is 4.9 still planned to become a LTS release or is it too early to tell or something else?
          Thank you.
          I haven't heard anything to the contrary, but then again I have not been able to find much supporting it either. The jump from 4.4 to 4.9 is bigger than you usually see between LTS kernels (normally 3 versions seems like the average) so hard to say.

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          Modern LED lights (CRI > 90) have a better color spectrum than any incandescent or CFL. They're also efficient.
          Yep, I don't have a problem with the better LEDs (there are a few lights in my house that are on regularly and all are LED), I'm just unhappy with the 10+ wasted years when everyone was being encouraged to buy CFLs "for the environment".

It was even worse up here because CFL's don't particularly like low temperatures. I put a couple of CFLs in my garage at the last house, and in the winter I had to turn them on ~5 minutes before I needed to work out there so they could warm up and start putting out a decent amount of light.

I also spent some spare time hot-wiring flashlights before LEDs grew up. Once you get an incandescent bulb bright enough to light newspaper on fire the colour temperature and efficiency are excellent (although still much less efficient than LEDs). Bulb life, not so much.
          Last edited by bridgman; 30 October 2016, 10:51 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Yep, it pleases me that all the great things done in our country are still happening. I just wish they were still happening here.

I haven't heard anything to the contrary, but then again I have not been able to find much supporting it either. The jump from 4.4 to 4.9 is bigger than you usually see between LTS kernels (normally 3 versions seems like the average) so hard to say.

Yep, I don't have a problem with the better LEDs (there are a few lights in my house that are on regularly and all are LED), I'm just unhappy with the 10+ wasted years when everyone was being encouraged to by CFLs "for the environment".
            Agreed, much prefer LEDs to the whole CFL push few/number-of years back.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
            X