Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.9 Is Showing A Performance Boost On More Systems

Phoronix: Linux 4.9 Is Showing A Performance Boost On More Systems

Earlier this week I posted some benchmarks of a Core i7 6800K Broadwell-E system seeing performance boosts under Linux 4.9 and it turns out it's looking more widespread than just affecting a niche system or two. When testing a more traditional Intel Haswell desktop, Linux 4.9 Git is seeing more wins over Linux 4.8 and 4.7 kernels...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking forward to another round of filesystems benchmarking, SSD and HDD.

Comment

Will be great to see i/o scheduller comparison.

Comment

it's a welcome towards 5 kernel.

Comment

This is some really substantial improvements! Could you run a bisection, Michael?

Comment

Any idea what commits caused this?

Comment

Any chance you have any arm performance testing on the 4.9 kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by aford173 View Post
                Any chance you have any arm performance testing on the 4.9 kernel?
                Huh? These articles have been performance tests or what are you looking for?
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

He was asking for bechmark runs on ARM hardware. Nice to see some substantial perf improvements by the way.

Comment

aford173

Originally posted by kirgahn View Post
                    He was asking for bechmark runs on ARM hardware. Nice to see some substantial perf improvements by the way.
                    Ah my apologies, somehow didn't see the word "ARM" (I guess since I'm used to it being capitalized). Anyhow, would have to see what ARM hardware I have around that's fast that would work for benchmarking and also work on the mainline kernel. I don't think my Jetson TX1 yet works on a mainline kernel and using like a RPi would be too slow until some official packages come out :/
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X