X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serafean
    replied
    Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post

So we compile python module's .so files twice, once with default (distro) flags, and once with -mavx2 (as well as turning on the vectorizor etc).
    So there are two files for each shared library (a .so and a .so.avx2) and at runtime the python interpreter checks if avx2 is supported, and if it is, it'll pick the .so.avx2 over the .so file, but if avx2 is not supported, the .so file is used (they come from the same source files of the python module so they're identical in functionality, just not in compiler flags).

Most python module .so files are for python code thunking to performance sensitive code, usually math stuff, which is where avx2 can actually make a difference.
    Thank you!
    Pretty much what I expected I guess I'm already covered with Gentoo using -march=native...

Leave a comment:

• arjan_intel
    replied
    Originally posted by Serafean View Post
    How exactly are they enabling AVX instructions? Recompiling with -mavx(2)? or patching the code?
    So we compile python module's .so files twice, once with default (distro) flags, and once with -mavx2 (as well as turning on the vectorizor etc).
    So there are two files for each shared library (a .so and a .so.avx2) and at runtime the python interpreter checks if avx2 is supported, and if it is, it'll pick the .so.avx2 over the .so file, but if avx2 is not supported, the .so file is used (they come from the same source files of the python module so they're identical in functionality, just not in compiler flags).

Most python module .so files are for python code thunking to performance sensitive code, usually math stuff, which is where avx2 can actually make a difference.

Leave a comment:

• adler187
    replied
    Originally posted by geearf View Post

That's a better one, but I was trying to stay with 5 letters like Clear.
    AMD Murky Linux

Leave a comment:

• geearf
    replied
    Originally posted by AdamOne View Post

Opaque?
    That's a better one, but I was trying to stay with 5 letters like Clear.

Leave a comment:

• Tomin
    replied
    Originally posted by zboson View Post
    Xen from what I hear won't support XOP and maybe not FMA4. XOP is actually a good instruction set and FM4 makes more sense than FMA3 (which has to have several variants because it does not have a forth operator). It's embarrassing that Intel's instruction set up to AVX2 still does not have an unsigned 64-bit SIMD compare operator (unlike XOP) though AVX512 (if we ever get it) will.
    Oh, you mean Zen. At first I thought you were actually talking about Xen and I could not understand much.

I hope AMD will use Zen instead of FX in their marketing for Zen processors. That would sound much better, because FX is associated with something slow nowadays in the minds of computer builders (well, that's what I think anyway).

Leave a comment:

• johanb
    replied
    Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
    ... and non-competitive mobility products (Atom) along with a Linux build?
    They are incredibly popular amongst chinese windows tablets and low-end but thin ultrabooks. If you search for "Windows tablet" on a chinese website you'll see that 95% of all tablets have either the z8300, z8500 or z8700 processor. They're all cherry trail which is shit on linux though so I havn't bought one myself.

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    It's Clear not Clean.
    So opposites would be Foggy, Vague, etc
    Vague Linux sounds good to me. Count me in!

Leave a comment:

• AdamOne
    replied

It's Clear not Clean.
    So opposites would be Foggy, Vague, etc
    Opaque?

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Does Ubuntu 16.10 have Linux 4.8.0, 4.8.1 or 4.8.2?

It's name is something like 4.8.0-22.24. Not sure exactly how to interpret that.
    You can ignore 4.8.0, that is 4.8 updated regulary... those 22.24 are probably number abi bumb. number of actual updates or something.

Should be i guess maybe 4.8.1 plus their patching... well look at their git if you like to track that or figure it out, yakkety something i guess

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Perhaps you want Ubuntu Satanic? Ships with great themes and music, in the colors you desire.
    Let's not confuse bdsm with satanism plz.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X