No announcement yet.

The Exciting Features Of The Linux 4.9 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really AMD breaked userspace with UMS2KMS switch... so conclusion is they breaking it when they want and don't when they don't want D: so all that is just story for little childrens

Comment

*sigh* even though I knew it was unlikely, I was still hoping that maybe some of the AMDGPU DAL patch was going to go into this. Getting really tired of being stuck with 4K@30Hz over HDMI 2.0 with my RX 480...

Comment

Originally posted by linuxjacques View Post
        What is up with kernelnewbies.org ? They still don't have the 4.8 kernel changes up.
        They have been getting slower and slower.
        Well, the changelog is not complete, but it's been up since the 5th of october. Link

They have more and more work to do. The amount of development just keeps growing.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Really AMD breaked userspace with UMS2KMS switch... so conclusion is they breaking it when they want and don't when they don't want D: so all that is just story for little childrens
          KMS was phased in over several years, slowly enabled in various distros by default first before being switched to the default in the kernel. Something similar would need to happen for this.

Comment

Yeah so just start force phasing it out, it is nothing new - so enable amdgpu by default, disable radeon and advice old distro users to blacklist amdgpu, let it rot for about 5 years and that is it

Comment

Yeah, and also old distro kernel maintainer should easely figure it out to not even build SI/CIK amdgpu at all, and no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                Sure, there are all sorts of ways to work around it, but it breaks an existing set up which is generally not allowed; user updates kernel, X breaks. If you are going to jump through all of these hoops, you can just as easily explicitly enable CI support in amdgpu in the kernel on your system.
                Sorry, but that is bollocks.

As long as the option exists to have backwards compatibility with old userspace, it doesn't matter for that purpose whether it is enabled or disabled by default. Case in point, CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED.
                Users and distributors can be expected to configure their kernels correctly according to their userspace.

And there are good reasons to have it enabled by default.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

In theory, the situation you described could be resolved by making amdgpu.ko implement the radeon.ko interface.

From the current looks of the state of amdgpu.ko and radeon.ko in 4.9rc1, it cannot be decided which option is going to happen:
                  • radeon.ko will be deleted from the kernel and amdgpu.ko does not implement the deleted interface, or
                  • radeon.ko will be deleted from the kernel and amdgpu.ko will implement the deleted interface, or
                  • radeon.ko will stay in the kernel for the following 10 years

Personally, I am in favor of the 1st option. That said, I am unable to predict which option is going to prevail in the forthcoming years.
                  What about users who need radeon.ko because their card isn't supported by amdgpu.ko?

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

The problem might be resolved be compiling the "amd-staging-4.7" branch from https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/

I shortly tested it with R9-390@1080p, but on my machine+display there is no major benefit in favor of amd-staging-4.7 compared to the mainstream 4.9.0-rc1 kernel.
                    Yeah, I'm using a compiled version of that branch right now, but unfortunately, I'm stuck at 4K@30Hz, even though I can to 60Hz under Windows. Any ideas where I can submit issues? I had the same issue with Nvidia's proprietary drivers, and after pestering enough, they identified and fixed the issue (something to do with a weird EDID for my display). I could basically forward the details of that along and hope a similar fix can be done.

Comment

amdgpu can not be made the default for SI and CIK until it reaches feature parity with radeon. As long as DAL is not merged user will be faced with a serious regresion: no more audio over HDMI / DP. Only after that you can start worying about userspace being ready for amdgpu on old distros.

Also, radeon will not be removed in the forseable future. Even if amdgpu takes over all GCN cards there is still a matter of supporting the older Radeon cards.

Comment

Working...
                      X