Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Exciting Features Of The Linux 4.9 Kernel

Phoronix: The Exciting Features Of The Linux 4.9 Kernel

This weekend was the release of Linux 4.9-rc1 to mark the end of the 4.9 kernel merge window. As such, here's our usual feature overview recapping all of the changes to Linux 4.9 that have us excited about the next version of this open-source kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Dear god, how much longer is GCN 1.1 going to be 'Experimental' in AMDGPU? I mean, I understand there are priorities but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
      Dear god, how much longer is GCN 1.1 going to be 'Experimental' in AMDGPU? I mean, I understand there are priorities but this is getting ridiculous.
      It's fine to use. However, enabling it by default will break existing users whose userspace stack does not support amdgpu so we can't do that across the board.

Comment

Funny question, but is it possible something like... to remove SI/CIK support on one kernel release altogether and then reintroducing it on next as new?

Comment

What is up with kernelnewbies.org ? They still don't have the 4.8 kernel changes up.
          They have been getting slower and slower.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
            Confusion yeah, as people dunno what to use there... i don't know even, together to corespodent two old/new blobs also, it is funny and awful in the same time

Comment

And on top of that when someone further say you to use LEGO, users became crazy about all that

Comment

So to me removal sound normal if i considered everything, so the best is to remove support totaly in one kernel... and say to everybody HEY EVERYBODY BEWARE OF THIS, WE ARE DROPPING SI/CIK HERE!!!

And then suddenly in next reintroducing it as new

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

It's fine to use. However, enabling it by default will break existing users whose userspace stack does not support amdgpu so we can't do that across the board.
                  debian stable has llvm 3.5/kernel-3.16 so probably it's impossibru forever

Comment

Originally posted by linuxjacques View Post
                    What is up with kernelnewbies.org ? They still don't have the 4.8 kernel changes up.
                    They have been getting slower and slower.
                    I feel the pain too.

Comment

Working...
                    X