Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFS Adds Shared Data Extents For Linux 4.9

Phoronix: XFS Adds Shared Data Extents For Linux 4.9

Building off last week's XFS updates for Linux 4.9 is now a specific feature merge for this file-system: shared data extents...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Need benchmark comparsion for kernels. 4.7 vs 4.8. I feel some regressions.

Comment

So whats the practical advantage in basic language?

Comment

Originally posted by pheldens View Post
        So whats the practical advantage in basic language?
        Essentially these are the underlying features that one can use to build user facing functionality including snapshots. XFS will become more competitive in features to Btrfs/ZFS.

Comment

This is incredibly cool. There'll be a reflink ioctl building on this, and it paves the way for deduplication support.

Comment

Will this allow deduplication, or does XFS already support that?

Comment

Originally posted by Imroy View Post
              Will this allow deduplication, or does XFS already support that?
              afaik xfs does not have deduplication, this should go the way of enabling it.

It seems like the tool duperemove (tool used to deduplicate data in btrfs) added support for xfs deduplication, in case someone wants to test this. https://github.com/markfasheh/duperemove

Comment

This didn't take long:-)
                Now, waiting for the checksum work to land and we've got ourselves a pretty damn good fs.

Edit: wanted to be clear that I'm referring to METADATA checksum
                Last edited by liam; 13 October 2016, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  This didn't take long:-)
                  Now, waiting for the checksum work to land and we've got ourselves a pretty damn good fs.
                  "It warns at mount time as an experimental feature and that it may eat data"

i guess some people tired of btrfs to the point of switching off their brains completely

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    "It warns at mount time as an experimental feature and that it may eat data"

i guess some people tired of btrfs to the point of switching off their brains completely
                    Are you THAT interested in trolling?
                    I didn't say "Hey everyone! Start using all the new xfs features!!!!"
                    Chinner, as I've said before, is quite conservative about these things and usually places potential data eating changes behind such flags.

Comment

Working...
                    X