Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xen & KVM Changes Line Up For Linux 4.9

Phoronix: Xen & KVM Changes Line Up For Linux 4.9

Xen and KVM are the latest pull requests hitting the mailing list for the Linux 4.9 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is Xen still relevant now with latest KVM improvements?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Is Xen still relevant now with latest KVM improvements?
      It is, but it is for different use cases than KVM. I use KVM, though, simply because of it's simplicity, enough features and good performance. Also, xen usually gets some of the features (more on hardware side) much faster than KVM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenByte View Post

It is, but it is for different use cases than KVM. I use KVM, though, simply because of it's simplicity, enough features and good performance. Also, xen usually gets some of the features (more on hardware side) much faster than KVM.

Oh, I see. What kind of use cases? Big iron servers?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Oh, I see. What kind of use cases? Big iron servers?
          Mostly. In research, especially since Xen supports multi-user gpus.

Comment

Did KVM ever get integrated gpu support finaliized? (ie: intel)

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              Did KVM ever get integrated gpu support finaliized? (ie: intel)
              I did read about vGPU (is that the name?), but not sure if it got finalized. What about other hardware vendors like AMD and Nvidia?

Comment

When i attempted to use Xen it really disappointed me with how deep it roots into the system. Had to boot xen kernel. Could no longer run vmware workstation when that kernel is booted. With KVM it is not a problem.

Originally posted by GreenByte View Post
                Mostly. In research, especially since Xen supports multi-user gpus.
                What do you mean by "multi-user gpus"? Those new GPUs from AMD or general GPUs that xen can share between several VMs?

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
                  When i attempted to use Xen it really disappointed me with how deep it roots into the system. Had to boot xen kernel. Could no longer run vmware workstation when that kernel is booted. With KVM it is not a problem.
                  I remember reading last week that as of a few versions ago, Xen's requirements were mainlined into the standard Linux kernel meaning you no longer need a customised kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Sluthy View Post

I remember reading last week that as of a few versions ago, Xen's requirements were mainlined into the standard Linux kernel meaning you no longer need a customised kernel.
                    Mainlined, yes. But DOM0 (host kernel) requires a different kernel configuration and usually cannot coexists with other virtualization solutions and breaks some drivers (E.g. nVidia).

- Gilboa
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                    X