Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheduler Changes Published For The Linux 4.9 Kernel

Phoronix: Scheduler Changes Published For The Linux 4.9 Kernel

Ingo Molnar was prompt as usual in submitting his various pull requests for the opening of the Linux 4.9 merge window, including the scheduler changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
    Maybe in 10 years time the scheduler will be on par with Windows and actually make games and media playable. The focus on server is just to much to bear for a desktop user.
    On other news, it seems Con Kolivas has released an "improved" version of its BFS CPU Scheduler (MuQSS, Multiple Queue Skiplist Scheduler):
    This is to announce an updated version of BFS for the new stable linux kernel 4.8. BFS by itself: 4.8-sched-bfs-512.patch -ck patches w...

Cheers

Comment

Maybe in 10 years time the scheduler will be on par with Windows and actually make games and media playable. The focus on server is just to much to bear for a desktop user.

The scheduler isnt at fault it does its job well. The problem is poor support in the software and games ported with a directx wrapper.

Comment

LOL u wot m8? Linux's scheduler is years ahead of Windows, Windows multitasking is so weak and stuttery compared to Linux or FreeBSD. Windows in the past could not even keep network packets flowing whilst playing audio or video.

Comment

Don't feed the MORM peeps!

Comment

Freebsd ule scheduler isnt keeping up but I really like how it picks tasks in constant time. The interactivity estimator ends up being great too. I am not sure how os x scheduler works, I need to dig into mach source code.

Comment

Originally posted by evolution View Post

On other news, it seems Con Kolivas has released an "improved" version of its BFS CPU Scheduler (MuQSS, Multiple Queue Skiplist Scheduler):
              This is to announce an updated version of BFS for the new stable linux kernel 4.8. BFS by itself: 4.8-sched-bfs-512.patch -ck patches w...

Cheers
              Nice to see Con is back working on the scheduler, instead of just fixing it for newer kernels.
              Last BFS benchmark I can find is from 2013 (Phoronix). Maybe when MuQSS becomes stable...

Comment

Only fanatics will use linux these days as Windows kicks its ass badly! Yeeeeeeehaaaaaw!!!
                Let me ignore the trolling part of the comments, and just abstractly focus on that part.

So, you obviously are a money bag, enjoying that there's a system where you could spend money. But why wouldn't you donate them instead to foundations doing the hard work like Xorg, KDE, etc? Or, at least, to starving children of Nigeria?

Comment

Originally posted by Ingo Molnar
                  24 files changed, 1198 insertions(+), 746 deletions(-)
                  Wow, for scheduler that's quite a work! Nice one.

Comment

What a bunch of bullshit coming from some idiot. Windows scheduler is a joke in comparison to Linux CFS. I have i7 and steam+firefox+win7 is a latency hell.

Comment

Working...
                    X