Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A New Wireless Daemon Is In Development To Potentially Replace wpa_supplicant

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Seems like OTC is more interested in the embedded side of this for now; though if some others pick up the additional work it looks like there's no reason it couldn't also be good for wifi on laptops and the suchlike.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by c117152 View Post
      Enterprise wifi without an SSL library... Oh my...
      I am sure there will be SSL support in due time as this daemon still is a WIP.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

        At least it would be predictable. I mean - we wouldn't want Linux CLI to be predictable and easy to remember right? Why not complicated and 10 million conflicting naming schemas. /sarcasm
        OpenBSD does name everything Open-yaddayadda (Except for LibreSSL for obvious reasons), so I guess it makes sense.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by xeekei View Post

          OpenBSD does name everything Open-yaddayadda (Except for LibreSSL for obvious reasons), so I guess it makes sense.
          I still can't get over the elegant triple meaning that name has. "Libre" is our pseudo-loanword for "free as in freedom", it's a more principled subset of "Open" in the world of licensing, and you can also read it as "Re[done/made/factored/etc.] SSL", with the standard "lib-" prefix.

          Comment


          • #15
            Very good. I'd like to see something more automatic than wpa_supplicant.

            Comment


            • #16
              wpa_supplicant still exists?

              I haven't had to configure it for a decade or so, ever since network-manager came around.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                wpa_supplicant still exists?

                I haven't had to configure it for a decade or so, ever since network-manager came around.
                wpa_supplicant is network-manager's backend when it operates wifi.

                So yeah, the beast is caged and under watch, but still there.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post

                  I am sure there will be SSL support in due time as this daemon still is a WIP.
                  That's what I'm happy about. Actually, I'd be even happier if they let us have a small user-land library that makes all the sys-calls to the kernel's crypto APIs... The video even mentioned a separate TLS effort too... Can you imagine writing tiny html and ssh daemon that don't need all those huge crypto libraries? Joy

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by c117152 View Post

                    That's what I'm happy about. Actually, I'd be even happier if they let us have a small user-land library that makes all the sys-calls to the kernel's crypto APIs... The video even mentioned a separate TLS effort too... Can you imagine writing tiny html and ssh daemon that don't need all those huge crypto libraries? Joy
                    As SSL/TLS support is a MUST for wifi, there should be hooks for the existing SSL/TLS libs that may be installed on the system or at even include a basic SSL/TLS library in the package as a fallback where system SSL/TLS libraries aren't installed.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post

                      As SSL/TLS support is a MUST for wifi, there should be hooks for the existing SSL/TLS libs that may be installed on the system or at even include a basic SSL/TLS library in the package as a fallback where system SSL/TLS libraries aren't installed.
                      Depends on the API. They could have very wifi specific syscalls and nothing general purpose which will make using it from the user land difficult or even impossible.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X