Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd 232 Coming Soon With Numerous New Features

Phoronix: Systemd 232 Coming Soon With Numerous New Features

Systemd 232 is right around the corner to succeed the systemd 231 release from July...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is systemd-mount for?

We already have a mount utility called "mount".

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

These might help..

and from the horse's mouth in response to phoronix

Comment

Sounds like something a Windows user/developer would say.

"Why include OpenSSH? People can just as well download Putty"...

Comment

Sometimes, I'm an a$$
            Last edited by DanL; 14 September 2016, 01:49 PM. Reason: Humility

Comment

systemd-journal-gatewayd-insanid-comingtoyoud-soond
              journalctrl-authd-indentid-restrictiond-delayd
              lasttod-logoutd-pleased-turnoffd-thelightd
              And in other news... "less wasn't more after all, says cat to tail"

Comment

From Lennart

A few clarifications, given that the phoronix article doesnt go into much detail about the background of this:

first of all, this doesn't replace util-linux' mount tool. Not at all. It just tells systemd to mount something, going through systemd's dependency logic. For the actual mount operation PID 1 will fork off util-linux' mount tool like it always did.
                systemd-mount is for mount/automount units what systemd-run is for service/scope/timer units: a simple cmdline tool that can create and enqueue these units transiently from the command line.
                in contrast to using the mount tool directly by this you get various benefits pid1 provides such as deps, scheduling and sandboxing applied to the mount binary. Thus it will automatically pull in prefix mounts and similar and is much nicer in particular for file systems that fork off a background process.
                while systemd-mount can create any kind of mount/automount unit transiently it is particularly neat to use for removable media: consider an usb stick with a typical fat file system on it. Traditionally linux (or more precisely: udisks) would mount the thing on plug and expect the user to unmount it explicitly through the UI before unplugging it. If the fs wasn't unmounted cleanly before umounting, the fs would possibly become corrupted and stay that way. With the logic built into systemd-mount we can drastically improve on this in two ways: first: instead of actually mounting the thing we can just automount it thus establishing the mount point without actually having to mounts the fs. The fs will be mounted on access and a short idle timeout (of 1s) will ensure that the fs is fully clean in most cases and only dirty in a short time frame around the actual fs access. Second: through systemd's job scheduler we can schedule an fsck invocation before the first access. This means: we can automatically fix up the fs should it end up being uncleanly unplugged after all. Both features together i think are a massive step forward for handling removable media: there's a much higher chance that the file systems stay in a healthy state. And all that fully transparent to apps.

So yeah, this is the background of this. And I'd count the last item as a killer feature - at least if you still care about removable media. Quite frankly it's pretty sad that this kind of handling for removable media is only implemented in the year 2016 when online sharing of files has become a lot more common place than removable-media based file sharing.

Lennart
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Michael, can you modify the article to indicate that systemd-mount wraps the real mount command and layers systemd features on it, and does not supplant it?

I can't blame uid313 for his (or her) confusion about what systemd-mount does.

I would be annoyed at the systemd team for the name, but a more informative name like systemd-mountwrapper or systemd-mount-helper is just too long and awkward to be useful.
                  Last edited by Michael_S; 14 September 2016, 12:34 PM. Reason: forgot the "not" in the first sentence.

Comment

Damn i love it, this is gonna be huge on ARM systems and desktops Of couse

Comment

Working...
                    X