Systemd 232 Coming Soon With Numerous New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

i just think it could and therefore should be better.
    i does so many things that aren't part of what an init system should do, and that is wrong.
    i just want it to be better. anything wrong with that?
    Wanting this to be better is a general goal that everyone can agree on but the realistic way to influence a project is to be contributor or provide specific criticisms that can be acted upon like say a bug report. systemd does many things that traditionally init systems don't do and that by itself is not wrong. There are several other components that are part of systemd project and those are within the same repository and distributions pick and choose what they take - you don't need to use systemd-boot or systemd-networkd in order to use systemd, the init system.

Comment

Originally posted by Stellarwind View Post
      Also network.target is a root of lots of confusion, because simply requiring it does not mean that network is configured by the time it is fired.
      Eventually you figure out how to deal with it, but you are in love with sysv/upstart and even solaris SMF with its xml configs at that point.
      That is to be expected by the document: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Sof...NetworkTarget/.
      There is also network-online.target, but it adds some additional delays so the best thing would be to make application work with network.target if possible.

Comment

i does so many things that aren't part of what an init system should do, and that is wrong.
        Well, no.
        An init system's job is the management of daemons and startup/shutdown of services and stuff, and this is what systemd (the init) does. Most of the actual systemd (the init) features are aimed at managing daemons or startup/shutdown actions, and that's perfectly within its mission, unless you want to claim that an acceptable init can only be a sysv clone using scripts for some reason.

All other functions in Systemd project are carried by separate daemons, they aren't provided by the init system itself.
        Logind for example is a separate daemon doing its own thing.
        there is also an EFI boot manager in Systemd's project (was Gummiboot, now it changed name), and again that is a separate program doing its own thing, not part of the init.

Comment

i don't think i am a systemd hater.
          Yes you are, the stupid and useless kind.

i just think it could and therefore should be better.
          Care to elaborate? What could be better? Where's your bug reports? PR's?

Who made you an authority on what an init system should do? What does systemd do that you believe it shouldn't?

i don't really care if use busybox or sysvinit or systemd.
          in fact i use systemd and it works.
          Soooo.. It works but you don't like it. For no apparent reason. And obviously without any knowledge of the enormous amount of problems it solves for other people.

i just want it to be better. anything wrong with that?
          Other than the fact that you are oblivious to how great it already is, no. And learn how to form sentences not starting with an I.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post
            Yes you are, the stupid and useless kind.
            So you don't have any arguments and therefore opt for insults? Classy...
            Care to elaborate? What could be better? Where's your bug reports? PR's?
            There aren't any cause i'm lazy...
            Who made you an authority on what an init system should do? What does systemd do that you believe it shouldn't?
            Where can i get certified as an authority? Are you the one who certifies? Who have made anyone in the world an authority? Does this means that no one can give opinions on the subject, ever?...
            Soooo.. It works but you don't like it. For no apparent reason. And obviously without any knowledge of the enormous amount of problems it solves for other people.
            Neither i like Windows, and i also use it. It solves lots of problems for many people. I don't like some kinds of food, but if i eat it, prevents me from starving. See where i'm getting at? You make no sense bro.
            Other than the fact that you are oblivious to how great it already is, no. And learn how to form sentences not starting with an I.
            Yeah it's great. It's HUGE. That's my complaint!

See: a whole post without starting the a sentence with the word I.
            And without insulting anyone.
            And without crying about others' opinions.

Comment

Yeah it's great. It's HUGE.
              This statement is an exaggeration.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                This statement is an exaggeration.
                Yeah, it's called a hyperbole.

Comment

Working...
                X