Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Releases CUPS 2.2 Printing System

Phoronix: Apple Releases CUPS 2.2 Printing System

Apple developers have announced the release of the CUPS 2.2 open-source printing system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Apple? Huh? What does Apple have to do with the CUPS project? Pretty sure CUPS has been around longer than their OS X operating system, lol.

Edit: wow, ok, according to wikipedia, Apple bought the CUPS source code and hired the original developer in 2007. Who knew?? I guess I missed that memo. Good on them for continuing to develop it as FOSS, that's awesome.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 13 September 2016, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
      Apple? Huh? What does Apple have to do with the CUPS project? Pretty sure CUPS has been around longer than their OS X operating system, lol.

Edit: wow, ok, according to wikipedia, Apple bought the CUPS source code and hired the original developer in 2007. Who knew?? I guess I missed that memo. Good on them for continuing to develop it as FOSS, that's awesome.
      Not that bright I see. Without CUPS being bought by Apple it wouldn't be a fraction of the product it is today.

Comment

Curious.

How did you manage to use CUPS and yet avoid ever reading the second line on the main page inside the administrative web UI?

"CUPS is the standards based, open source printing system developed byApple Inc. for Mac OS* X and other UNIX*-like operating systems."

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Curious.

How did you manage to use CUPS and yet avoid ever reading the second line on the main page inside the administrative web UI?

"CUPS is the standards based, open source printing system developed byApple Inc. for Mac OS* X and other UNIX*-like operating systems."
          While I, you, and many others configure CUPS through localhost:631, KDE and GNOME do have desktop utilities for configuring cups outside of the web administration interface and both Fedora and openSUSE have had their own utils as part of their system administration suite for forever. So he wouldn't necessarily have ever used it.

Comment

So why isn't it called iCups then?

Comment

I cannot use MFC-L2700DW orinter on 64BIT because of lacking of drivers. Is there a solution?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                I cannot use MFC-L2700DW orinter on 64BIT because of lacking of drivers. Is there a solution?
                That's pretty similar to what I have. It's working fine, I think I've used some generic drivers. I'll look it up when I get home and let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

That's pretty similar to what I have. It's working fine, I think I've used some generic drivers. I'll look it up when I get home and let you know.
                  thanks for answering: which generic drivers have you used?

Comment

Well, you are not completely wrong... It obviously did exist and was used before OS-X existed. But just like konquerer, which is now webkit maintained by apple (although at first they refused to share, but it seems everything is allright now), apple also maintains cups now.
                    Not really a bad thing, since Apple and Next were the main driving forces behind postscript (which they also did not develop).

Comment

Working...
                    X