Apple Releases CUPS 2.2 Printing System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuuker View Post
    Lets hope one day OS X full source will be released, then there is something to talk about.
    Why? It's nothing special, really.

Also, given Apple's standard practice their stuff goes open only when it has failed to be revolutionary (not bad per-se), if they opensource OSX you know what will that mean...

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post

You should be able to use 32bit version printer drivers on 64bit system, but installation will vary between the distributions(You will need 32bit glibc and ppd files from the drivers).
      thanks but I prefer a complete 64bit drivers matching 64bit operating system why I should still use 32bit stuff!?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

thanks but I prefer a complete 64bit drivers matching 64bit operating system why I should still use 32bit stuff!?
        Because of the Brother drivers. It's the only reason I have still a 32 glibc around on my 64bit system. While this sucks a bit, at least the drivers don't need any other 32bit libraries.

Comment

Because your printer doesn't work without them? Isn't that reason enough?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Because there is no iPrinter. Otherwise they would brand it too. Point is most apple users don't really need to print anything as they use content-consumption devices.

Comment

I cannot use MFC-L2700DW orinter on 64BIT because of lacking of drivers. Is there a solution?
              If it supports postscript, stay away from foomatic and such. Download the old apple compatibility image, and copy the .PPD from that, maybe brother has it on their site.
              Brother always wants you to use GDI or PCL, even when their postscript interpreter works flawless. With postscript you don't need drivers (thanks apple! Jobs in particular), you need the PPD to describe the features of your printer and what postscript to send when selecting those features.. And PPD is also postscript.
              So in the case of postscript printers you only need CUPS and the correct PPD. The printer will drive itself.
              I have a DCP8110DN, which is working fine. Plain IPP, just POST postscript files, and it comes out.
              Although certain .pdf files (pdf is a very restricted postscript) require certain features that my printer does not support, and it will just print a page stating it does not support it. When printed using a pdf viewer, it usually gets encapsulated by something that makes it work.
              To be clear: postscript is a scripting language. You send a program to the printer, which gets executed by the printer. It usually contains code to fill a bitmap with pixels and then ends that code with a print this bitmap instruction. I once send a mandelbrot postscript file to a tektronix color wax printer. After 48 hours of munching it got killed by the printer saying it took too long. Nothing was printed :-(.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post

Curious.

How did you manage to use CUPS and yet avoid ever reading the second line on the main page inside the administrative web UI?

"CUPS is the standards based, open source printing system developed byApple Inc. for Mac OS* X and other UNIX*-like operating systems."
                Because while I've been using CUPS since its inception in the late 1990's, I haven't touched the web admin console in years. With most modern Linux distros, there's really no need to access the admin web ui. By "modern", I mean distros from the last decade or so.

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                Not that bright I see. Without CUPS being bought by Apple it wouldn't be a fraction of the product it is today.
                Huh? What's with the insults? You must be exceedingly unhappy with your life.
                Last edited by torsionbar28; 15 September 2016, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X