Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.8-rc5 Kernel Brings A Fair Number Of Changes

Phoronix: Linux 4.8-rc5 Kernel Brings A Fair Number Of Changes

Linus Torvalds announced the release a short time ago of the Linux 4.8-rc5 kernel, which ends up weighing in as bigger than last week's 4.8-rc4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ah cool it87 oops fixed there

Comment

If patches got accepted for 4.8.0, some ASUS laptops users will be glad issues related to hotkeys functionality will be restored.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
        If patches got accepted for 4.8.0, some ASUS laptops users will be glad issues related to hotkeys functionality will be restored.
        Oh?
        I have a ASUS Zenbook UX303. Brightness buttons got broken a little while ago and couldn't remember with what update. Sorry where were the details on patches?

Comment

Has anyone an idea which kernel version is needed to apply the intel turbo boost max 3 patches?

Comment

Originally posted by suberimakuri View Post

Oh?
            I have a ASUS Zenbook UX303. Brightness buttons got broken a little while ago and couldn't remember with what update. Sorry where were the details on patches?
            See https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-acpi/list/ and look for ACPI EC.
            This patch addresses an issue related to a change inside BIOS written for Windows 8.1 and 10 affecting the linux ACPI mechanism for hotkeys functionality in addition of inability of suspension with closed lid and delayed battery status. Test done with ASUS X550ZE notebook.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
              Has anyone an idea which kernel version is needed to apply the intel turbo boost max 3 patches?
              Though Idk what patches are you talking about, but in general, if you have a link to mailing list with the patches, you could sort messages by date, and skim up to the nearest kernel release announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

See https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-acpi/list/ and look for ACPI EC.
                This patch addresses an issue related to a change inside BIOS written for Windows 8.1 and 10 affecting the linux ACPI mechanism for hotkeys functionality in addition of inability of suspension with closed lid and delayed battery status. Test done with ASUS X550ZE notebook.
                Why do you think it is relevant to Windows? From the patch description, it looks to me like there is an alternative valid way to handle events, which Windows just happen to support (i.e. nothing specific to a specific OS).

Comment

My wishlist:

- Please merge all of linux-rt in vanilla and not need to make these out of tree OUTDATED branches. The "The Linux Foundation Announces Project to Advance Real-Time Linux" public statement is becoming a lie! (it's funny Linux FOundation sites are full of 404 and such, they need a bunch of good web developers and maintainers!: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/ke...-rt-devel.git/

- More laptop love, please: Specially MSI ones, I'm guilty of one of them. What about TuxOnIce. Linus said FUSE is a toy befause userspace slow, but nothing against improving laptop support! Fuck you, Linus! I have found Backbone Sources, fortunately.

- More VFIO love, please?

* There's some patches out there (linux-vfio from Archlinux, but it's risky business to do it
                  * OVFM: There's tries from Debian and it OVMF seems to improve tings , as in these documents in Archlinux, NixOS and Gentoo wikis.
                  * There's an interesting blog too.
                  * Some people add to the mix extra stuff to improve support.
                  * What about Include non-MMu mode?

- What about merging Linux Kernel Multipath TCP in vanilla? Even major products like Samsung Galaxy S6 use it!

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                    Why do you think it is relevant to Windows? From the patch description, it looks to me like there is an alternative valid way to handle events, which Windows just happen to support (i.e. nothing specific to a specific OS).
                    Note the mention of change in the BIOS from which events are handled. The Linux ACPI maintainer never seen that behaviour before until recently from a debugging process at restoring hotkeys functionality. See https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=115021
                    I may wrongly worded and I mean that functionality is seen since Windows 8.1

Comment

Working...
                    X