Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ownCloud-Forked Nextcloud 10 Now Available

Phoronix: ownCloud-Forked Nextcloud 10 Now Available

The former developers of ownCloud who forked the project to Nextcloud have today released Nextcloud 10, just two months after the Nextcloud 9 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been using NextCloud 9.x for about a month, it's been fairly good.

The Android and iOS app are free

If the dev team reads this I'll make it simple what you guys can do to make NextCloud better

1. Add Select All to Android / iOS App when selecting files in a folder to upload/move. (I had to manually select 6,000 photos to move off several Samsung phones - Select All is a must)

2. Make it easier to import data, I'm using NextCloud to sync important Home Directory folders across Home & Work devices, Importing 400GB of files into NextCloud was a bit painful.

3. Linux needs a fork of ownCloud Client, the Linux Client needs to be improved.

4. WebDAV mounting of my NextCloud in my file tree reports incorrect space available, obviously most users don't exceed 100GB - so this problem likely comes of rarely.

At this point I'm not really sold on either camp - I Just think I should go with the original visionary to see if he can create a complete and focused vision of what he wants NC to be. If the project stagnates or fails I'll probably flip back to ownCloud, but I find that unlikely.

He is right though on the Brian Lunduke NextCloud interview that NextCloud should sell devices with the software pre-setup. That's the most logical basic idea yet - WD MyCloud is trash.

Comment

(I wish I could edit -- my post count will soar since it was disabled i'm sure)

File Manager should be able to select images in Thumbnail View - the lack of some File Operations sometimes annoys me enough to write the code myself for the webapp view.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
        2. Make it easier to import data, I'm using NextCloud to sync important Home Directory folders across Home & Work devices, Importing 400GB of files into NextCloud was a bit painful.
        The sync client is unfortunately rather slow.
        I use syncthing for synchronization between computers and the server hosting ownCloud (didn't switch to nextCloud yet, but that doesn't make any difference here). Then I added the folder on the server that contains all files as "external storage" in ownCloud -- because otherwise it may break its indexing.

What you could do alternatively is: Copying all your files into
        <your-server's-nextcloud-folder>/data/<your-username>/files/
        and then login as www-data or http or whatever user your nextCloud runs on and execute
        ./occ files:scan
        to index all transferred files by nextCloud. Afterwards you will see all your files in the web interface and can use the native sync client as well.

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
        3. Linux needs a fork of ownCloud Client, the Linux Client needs to be improved.
        Is happening in a few days for Linux, Windows and Mac according to the blog.

File Manager should be able to select images in Thumbnail View - the lack of some File Operations sometimes annoys me enough to write the code myself for the webapp view.
        Will you send that upstream, please, when it is useable? I could use that too as well as many people I guess!

Comment

Maybe just post your ideas inside the github issue tracker ElectricPrism ?

Comment

I was originally interested in ownCloud (years before the nextCloud fork), but I now use the fully open source sandstorm.io software instead. You can pay the Sandstorm development company to host your content on their servers or host your own. I do both - they host the stuff that I don't care about losing and won't lose sleep if it gets hacked or leaked, and I host copies of that and all of my private data.

Comment

Working...
            X