Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.8-rc3 Kernel Is Out

Phoronix: Linux 4.8-rc3 Kernel Is Out

Linus Torvalds announced today the third weekly test release of the Linux 4.8 kernel, which is currently codenamed the Psychotic Stoned Sheep...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone know to what "Psychotic Stoned Sheep" refers? Was it something amusing in the news or his he still lamenting his motivation for the v4 numbering jump?

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Palmer View Post
      Anyone know to what "Psychotic Stoned Sheep" refers? Was it something amusing in the news or his he still lamenting his motivation for the v4 numbering jump?
      duckduckgo, duck duck go, ddg, lmddgtfy, let me duckduckgo that for you, lmdtfy, let me duck that for you, let me search that for you

Comment

Hi guys,

I'm sure, this is the wrong forum, but may be someone can show me where I can find the right place to go. I don't have much experience in debugging Linux Kernel, however I have a Cherry Trail tablet here, which I'm trying to get up and running. On kernel 4.7.x many things are working, but I have a lot of ACPI and I2C issues, so I was trying to test it with kernel 4.8rc3. Unfortunately, I can't get so far, because the system gets very unresponsive during the boot and in the dmesg I see a lot of "blocked for more than 120 seconds" errors and most of the drivers can't be loaded. This is clearly a regression, but I'm not sure about the reason. Can anyone give me a hint how to proceed?

Comment

Originally posted by scorp View Post
          Hi guys,

I'm sure, this is the wrong forum, but may be someone can show me where I can find the right place to go. I don't have much experience in debugging Linux Kernel, however I have a Cherry Trail tablet here, which I'm trying to get up and running. On kernel 4.7.x many things are working, but I have a lot of ACPI and I2C issues, so I was trying to test it with kernel 4.8rc3. Unfortunately, I can't get so far, because the system gets very unresponsive during the boot and in the dmesg I see a lot of "blocked for more than 120 seconds" errors and most of the drivers can't be loaded. This is clearly a regression, but I'm not sure about the reason. Can anyone give me a hint how to proceed?
          Did you try to search for errors you see? If it's really a regression, you have to report a bug, but I'd assume first some kind of misconfiguration. I.e. are you sure that the drivers that doesn't load are actually compiled and (in case they're compiled as modules)installed?

Also, is there a particular reason you're trying that kernel out? Like, did you see patches you're interested in, or "just for the safe case"? In the latest case I'd recommend to rather report a bug for errors you do see in dmesg of 4.7 kernel.

Comment

Working...
          X