Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.8-rc1 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 4.8-rc1 Kernel Released

Just like clockwork, the first release candidate / development version of the Linux 4.8 kernel is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Man, the R9 290 still have performance problems. It was established that it is a Ubuntu packaging problem or a Kernel problem?

Better make some noise now since this is supposed to be in 16.10, correct?

Comment

VCE with omx and vaapi on Polaris is a bit slow with 4.7. Much better with 4.8-rc1, but it randomly locks up: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97240

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        Man, the R9 290 still have performance problems. It was established that it is a Ubuntu packaging problem or a Kernel problem?

Better make some noise now since this is supposed to be in 16.10, correct?
        is not ubuntu or kernel problem, it's amd problem and their garbage drivers

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

What do you mean in particular?
          Works with only 15/20% of the original performance. It is happening since Kernel 4.7. Michael did a benchmark confirming the problem.

I remember one or two guys saying that it must be a Ubuntu problem, because it is not happening in some distro with the 4.7 kernel.

Comment

i've installed linux 4.8rc1 on ubuntu 16.04 but not work (i've installed deb file from kernel.ubuntu.org)

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              Works with only 15/20% of the original performance. It is happening since Kernel 4.7. Michael did a benchmark confirming the problem.

I remember one or two guys saying that it must be a Ubuntu problem, because it is not happening in some distro with the 4.7 kernel.
              AFAIK we have not yet been able to reproduce this in house. Not saying there isn't a problem, just saying that there is something unusually configuration-specific about it.

Has anyone seen a bugzilla ticket for it ? Closest I could find was one for 290x DPM not working, but that was for amdgpu not radeon. This is one of those cases where a few very precise bug tickets from people seeing the problem could help.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

AFAIK we have not yet been able to reproduce this in house. Not saying there isn't a problem, just saying that there is something unusually configuration-specific about it.

Has anyone seen a bugzilla ticket for it ? Closest I could find was one for 290x DPM not working, but that was for amdgpu not radeon. This is one of those cases where a few very precise bug tickets from people seeing the problem could help.
                I filed a bug report for it: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97260

Keep in mind that I use Kubuntu 16.04 and Michel did the benchmarks showing the problem using Ubuntu 16.04. If it is a packaging problem is good to know fast so I can knock at Canonical's bug tracker.

Comment

Great, thanks.

If anyone is seeing the problem with anything other than a 290 can you please make a note in the bugzilla ticket ?
                  Last edited by bridgman; 09 August 2016, 02:03 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

And still in C3 on Mobile Skylake 6700, this is going to be never ending story

Comment

Working...
                    X