Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 Encryption To Be Unified In Linux 4.8

Phoronix: EXT4 Encryption To Be Unified In Linux 4.8

Ted Ts'o usually sends in his EXT4 file-system updates later in the kernel merge window cycles, but not for Linux 4.8. Just one day into the Linux 4.8 merge window he's already submitted the new material to be merged for EXT4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully BTRFS and other filesystems gain encryption abilities as well, given this development. I haven't looked at the code, so I'm not sure how easy it makes it to prepare a filesystem for encryption, any thoughts?

Comment

I would hope that code is written in Rust?

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
        You're going to have to wait for 10-20 years in order to find a single row of Rust (or similar) code in the Linux kernel source tree.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
          You're going to have to wait for 10-20 years in order to find a single row of Rust (or similar) code in the Linux kernel source tree.
          And that row will be a comment.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post

And that row will be a comment.
            And that comment will say that Rust is not allowed.

Comment

34 files changed, 538 insertions(+), 2102 deletions(-)
              Impressive!

Comment

Good to know that ext4 isn't going to maintain its own crypto system anymore. I'll be one of the people who will probably benefit from this (work laptop has an encrypted root on ext4), but it will make me a little careful when evaluating my upgrade from 4.7 to 4.8 just to try to avoid any breakage. I'll probably at least wait until some of the later RCs to avoid possible initial breakage.

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post

Comment

Did they ever add key verification?

Comment

Working...
                    X