The Btrfs Windows Driver Updated With RAID Support & Other Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Btrfs Windows Driver Updated With RAID Support & Other Features

Phoronix: The Btrfs Windows Driver Updated With RAID Support & Other Features

Should you need to access your Btrfs file-systems from Microsoft Windows, an unofficial kernel driver that's been making much progress over the past few months is out with a new version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't understand why making a btrfs win driver, it sucks in linux already

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
      I can't understand why making a btrfs win driver, it sucks in linux already
      Better let us know how it sucks so that everyone who wants to try BTRFS can jot down sth useful in notes.
      Last edited by ngkaho1234; 24 July 2016, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ngkaho1234 View Post

Let us know how it sucks
        Allow me: https://wiki.debian.org/Btrfs
        The article on Debian (which IS recent by the way) have quite a few interesting points. From personal experience btrfs raid 5/6 sucks bigtime, raid 0/1 and 10 is ok, however there are bugs in btrfs as of kernel 4.6 which will cause the filesystem to go read only and need a new one to migrate the files to. Btrfs also (even if it register a device as missing) will try to write to this device. There are patches in the pipeline for fixing this, but the long story is that unless you know what you are doing (and therefore have backups) you are likely to run into issues. Give it a three-four more years + read the documentation and then we can talk

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post

The article on Debian (which IS recent by the way) have quite a few interesting points. From personal experience btrfs raid 5/6 sucks bigtime, raid 0/1 and 10 is ok, however there are bugs in btrfs as of kernel 4.6 which will cause the filesystem to go read only and need a new one to migrate the files to. Btrfs also (even if it register a device as missing) will try to write to this device. There are patches in the pipeline for fixing this, but the long story is that unless you know what you are doing (and therefore have backups) you are likely to run into issues. Give it a three-four more years + read the documentation and then we can talk
          Haha, I thought I was lucky as I was simply not a BTRFS-RAID user.

EDIT: grammatical mistakes

Comment

Originally posted by ngkaho1234 View Post

Haha, I thought I was lucky as I was simply not a BTRFS-RAID user.

EDIT: grammatical mistakes
            me neither although i do use it on raid, just not internal. i have md device and btrfs partition on top of it, the day when i trust their implementation is far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, **echoing indefinitely** in future

Comment

The Windows BTRFS driver is probably as reliable as the new Ubuntu Subsystem for Windows thing... I've noticed that that the additional POSIX access to the Windows file-system appears to cause a few NTFS corruption issues :-)

Hmmm... It's like a super slllooooooooooow snail race - which BTRFS version will stabilise first - Windows or Linux??!! Opens popcorn...

Comment

Btw, as a from-scratch implementation under LGPL, this driver could even serve as base for other GPL-hostile systems like BSD.

Comment

Wow that's scary looking wiki article. It's plastered with recommendations to -not- do something because that something is broken. That is crazy. It's been a long time since I actually tried BTRFS for myself, but that article there just scared me away again.

Comment

The article on Debian (which IS recent by the way)
                    Debian isn't exactly the best source of info for btrfs, because you know, old kernel and userspace stuff.

Not that btrfs isn't terribly stable anyway.
                    Last edited by starshipeleven; 25 July 2016, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X