Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Look, if you don't want to research supported hardware before you buy
    In what part I said I did not. Really, back then it wasn't like it is now. Back then even supported hardware had plenty of hiccups (even with proprietary drivers) and non-supported hardware lists were huge.

Most of the crap I mentioned is supported and relatively stable by now in linux, btw. Atheros for example went opensource in 2008, I can get decent TV tuners and they will work, SiS/VIA work at all, we have fucking video when installing the operating system because there are open drivers that can run the hardware during installation, and so on.

Back then, nope.

So please, go fuck yourself. Linux got MUCH better in the last decade.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      In what part I said I did not. Really, back then it wasn't like it is now. Back then even supported hardware had plenty of hiccups (even with proprietary drivers) and non-supported hardware lists were huge.

Most of the crap I mentioned is supported and relatively stable by now in linux, btw. Atheros for example went opensource in 2008, I can get decent TV tuners and they will work, SiS/VIA work at all, we have fucking video when installing the operating system because there are open drivers that can run the hardware during installation, and so on.

Back then, nope.

So please, go fuck yourself. Linux got MUCH better in the last decade.
      It isn't that much different now than it was 15 years ago. Granted AMD has improved their OSS drivers considerably. But really what happened is they increased the range of choices, but even then choices still existed. Not looking is your own damn fault.

Comment

It isn't that much different now than it was 15 years ago. Granted AMD has improved their OSS drivers considerably. But really what happened is they increased the range of choices, but even then choices still existed. Not looking is your own damn fault.
        Choices that existed back then were a fraction of what there is now, and on average they sucked for PC use.

Comment

Choices that existed back then were a fraction of what there is now, and on average they sucked for PC use.
          It's plainly obvious you weren't there. I was and my PC was freakin awesome.

Comment

It's plainly obvious you weren't there. I was and my PC was freakin awesome.
            It's plainly obvious that you have a different view of the world than most.

Comment

It's plainly obvious that you have a different view of the world than most.
              Nope, I just bought supported hardware. Exactly the same thing linux users had been doing since 1992 till this very day. That's not a world view, that necessary fact for linux users.

Comment

I was just reminiscing about Yamhill and found this link. http://archive.arstechnica.com/news/...033018263.html
                It's funny as hell because back in 2002 the same shit I say here about Intel in today's day and age was already common knowledge old news back then.

Comment

Nope, I just bought supported hardware. Exactly the same thing linux users had been doing since 1992 till this very day. That's not a world view, that necessary fact for linux users.
                  you must have missed the fact that I was talking about that too.

I was just reminiscing about Yamhill and found this link. http://archive.arstechnica.com/news/...033018263.html It's funny as hell because back in 2002 the same shit I say here about Intel in today's day and age was already common knowledge old news back then.
                  Yeah, that was standard practice of IC makers since much before. It's only you that think is strange, or even wrong.

Comment

That's around 200 mb more, but in your actual PC (not this VM that has 4GB by fiat) you had 300 mb wasted by 32bit limitations.
                    Net gain of going to 64bit is 100 mb in your case.
                    Which is what I was saying. 32bit may make sense for 3GB or less, NOT on 4GB or more.

In my 2GB netbook the difference was around 100-150-ish, and imho that's not a whole fucking lot, considering that that is a 2GB system and that it isn't going to see much more than Firefox and libreoffice and VLC.

On 1GB or less systems maybe, but really, most of them have been scrapped by now, and when you can get a core duo system for 20$ off ebay it makes little sense to cling to them anyway.
                    1) You're somehow assuming that the difference doesn't grow when you're using more RAM. I only started 618 MB worth of applications and the difference was already 200MB or 30%. If you start 6 times more applications, the difference might grow till 1,2 GB. It definitely doesn't remain the same.

2) I don't think the difference between reserved memory amounts is that large. You're giving the impression that 64bit Linux wouldn't reserve anything. For example on this 64-bit, 8 GB Linux box (core 2 quad) I got 7,6 GB free for userspace according to htop. So 400 MB reserved.

3) I also suggested using a 64-bit kernel and 32-bit userspace or a fully x32 system. With a 64-bit kernel you get the full 4GB of memory, but the 32-bit processes are constrained by 1G/3G split. OTOH they use less RAM. IMHO this is the best of both worlds if x32 is too much trouble to set up.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                      1) You're somehow assuming that the difference doesn't grow when you're using more RAM.
                      Because it makes no sense to. Each program in 64bits uses X more ram, period.
                      2) I don't think the difference between reserved memory amounts is that large. You're giving the impression that 64bit Linux wouldn't reserve anything. For example on this 64-bit, 8 GB Linux box (core 2 quad) I got 7,6 GB free for userspace according to htop. So 400 MB reserved.
                      Fair point. Anyway, there is something wrong in your system, as here I have a 16GB system, with 256MB allocated to iGPU and 15823MB is shown. Comes out the kernel is using 300 mb for itself.

3) I also suggested using a 64-bit kernel and 32-bit userspace or a fully x32 system. With a 64-bit kernel you get the full 4GB of memory, but the 32-bit processes are constrained by 1G/3G split. OTOH they use less RAM. IMHO this is the best of both worlds if x32 is too much trouble to set up.
                      Good luck with that, as you need to do it manually.

Comment

Working...
                      X